1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

r6 not starting

Discussion in 'Tech' started by HamGSXR750, Nov 21, 2008.

1. HamGSXR750

HamGSXR750 Well-Known Member

roomate has 1999 r6, former Wera race bike, fully set up, but doesn't start. Sat for a while, started last winter for a little while, bad gas sat in it for the whole winter and summer. Tried to fire it up and it will not fire. checked SPARK, HAD SPARK. I have heard that these bike has rectifier issues...any ideas what to check. The stator could have nothing to do with it, i cant see it having to do with the ecu..It just seems like it has something not letting it actually fire...idk, just wanted to try to get it running for spring for trackdays.

and help would be great

mike

2. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Drain and clean the ENTIRE fuel system including the carbs, replace the spark plugs and change the oil.
    Rotten fuel will not burn and as an extra added bonus screws up the carbs, fuel tank and spark plugs.
    If you manage to get it running and it burns enough varnish laden fuel, it will gum up the valve stems and cause it to bend valves as well.

3. boomboom929

boomboom929 Largely unsupervised

+1 but I'd clean the carbs while I was at it. If it doesn't have a synthetic race fuel in it, the jets are clogged. At a minimum, the pilot jets. You could potentially find a green sludge in the whole thing.