1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 front fork suspension advice

Discussion in 'Tech' started by John Hancock, Mar 27, 2017.

1. John Hancock

John Hancock Well-Known Member

I have an 04 R6 with 05 front end. This weekend I was having the suspension set up for me and noticed the front forks would not compress more than one inch. So my buddies, in less than 10 min, had the front forks off. I took them to the suspension guy and he could not get either of the caps off the forks. I have the OEM front end with the forks, brakes, etc. The average price of 05 forks, that i've been able to find, are about $350. So should i just put the OEM front end back on and have those forks reworked or should i just spend the money on buying the 05 fork and have them reworked. It has been brought to my attention that I could drill the caps off to see what's going in side the forks. I'm expecting the worst and having to buy a new set of forks.

2. jkraft

jkraft Well-Known Member

Put them back in the triples, tighten just the lower, get a bigger wrench and some heat.

3. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

Fwiw those 03 04 forks are supposed to the superior in many regards. I remember reading that the frame was designed with standard forks and it doesn't handle the stiff usd forks well.

4. John Hancock

Tried heating them in a vice and almost stripped the caps.

5. John Hancock

I've read that as well.

6. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

This is correct. On 05 the frame was changed to accommodate the stiffer upside down fork.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  7. MotoGP1199

MotoGP1199 Well-Known Member

If you get the forks re-worked I would recommend race-tech. They do great work and I love their gold valves.

John Hancock likes this.
  8. adamb

adamb Member

I have caps from an 05 if that helps you at all...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. John Hancock

How much for them?

10. adamb

adamb Member

I'm in Canada, you pay the shipping and they're yours. The only negative is I can't ship them for a week or so.

If you're interested pm your email and I'll send some pictures as soon as I'm able to get them out of storage.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  11. John Hancock

Thanks man but I bought a set of used forks off eBay today

12. adamb

adamb Member

No worries! Offer stands if someone else needs some caps and is in a jam!

John Hancock likes this.
  13. John Hancock

So I just bought a set of used forks. I just want to get them refreshed with the stock components, who do u recommend?

14. TRK

TRK Well-Known Member

Race Tech

John Hancock likes this.