1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 comfort tips for a tall guy

Discussion in 'General' started by Quick6RR, May 12, 2020.

1. Quick6RR

Quick6RR Well-Known Member

Hello, I currently ride a full track 2013 R6. And I’m looking for tips to make it a bit more comfortable. I’m 6’01 and find myself very cramped on the bike and unable to hang off the side very much.

It has fully adjustable vortex rearsets which are all the way down and back, vortex clip ones that have been adjusted out, and I even put on a larger foam pad, but the bike still doesn’t feel comfortable to me after several months of track riding.

Any other tall dudes have this issue?
    Any other possible solutions?

thanks

2. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Go in a ice bath before you ride.

3. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Real answer though, where are your rear sets positioned and do you have pictures of you on the bike?

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

you feel cramped on the bike??
    Getting off is all about your feet/legs not so much hanging. Have you practiced at all with the bike on a rear stand and try different setups. Like up and forward on the rear sets.
    Not sure what a taller pad would do since you should rarely be center saddle.

Senna and Quick6RR like this.
  5. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

1) Yes
    2) I stopped trying to ride supersports and now ride bikes with handlebars (current track bike is Street Triple R). The issue with supersports is I basically had to fold myself into a pretzel to fit, so any movement had to be planned out well ahead of time and it just made it too difficult to ride. Life is much simpler these days - no wind protection can be sub-optimal at times, but I'll gladly give up straight line speed to be more comfortable (and more importantly, safer) in the twisty sections of the track. For reference, I'm 6'3 and about 235.

6. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

@Gorilla George aka Tolstoy about being big on a 600. It's gonna co$t ya tho. :D

7. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I'm only 6 ft (but 67 with everything that goes with that!). No way to be "comfortable" on a sport bike but the truth is when I'm out on the track I've got other things to think about. Do the best you can to fit and tough it out. Lower foot pegs, handle bars forward and a bump pad on the back of the tank to help keep your ass back is all I got....

8. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I am 53 YO and 6'2" and my 2003 R1 is fairly roomy up top so you could look for one of those 2002-2003 R1 unicorns. But there really is no way to fix the folded up leg issue and keep ground clearance on a true sport bike. Do some yoga / stretching / flexibility exercises. Only other option is to try some other bikes, as some do fit a little differently.

Quick6RR likes this.
  9. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

^^^do some yoga and stretch, its good on and off the bike^^^

10. Evad101

Evad101 Well-Known Member

6'6" Hear and i rode my wifes 17' R6 around quite a bit. My in seem is on the shorter side for a tall fella @ 33". Still a bit to fold up but oddly enough it wasn't that bad for me. More leg room on it in stock form than on my 16' S1000RR.

For the legs you can try aftermarket rears sets that will go lower than stock. I think Attacks allow that.

11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

:stupid:

All the way up until the crossplane models the R1 is very roomy. I love the R6 but it's too fkn small and you sit on top of it. I'm 6'2" with a 36in inseam. Some bikes are just off limits bro.

Or get a GSX-R. More roomy and you sit in it instead of perched on top.

Senna likes this.
  12. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

If you aren't racing a bike with bars is an option, or get the Suzuki, probably one of the more comfortable sportbikes out there.

13. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

This^^^ Plus Suzuki is betterer. :D

14. FourThreeSix

FourThreeSix Well-Known Member

I'm 6'2" and raced an R6 for a few years. I had Vortex stuff for a little bit, but switched over to Attack as I found they were more adjustable. There really isn't a ton more you can do to make it more roomy IMO. I've since swapped to a new-gen ZX6R and it is definitely more roomy, but it's a different bike altogether. Stretch and work on your tuck.

15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

New zx6r is on my short list. Damn thing specs like a 750 almost. Almost :cool:

FourThreeSix likes this.
  16. Quick6RR

FCA809C2-A40B-4279-BBB5-B4DCABBF490C.jpeg 95FFD3A8-4752-42FE-92F5-70A19F1AC15E.jpeg
    Here are some old pics I found. I can try to take some sitting on the bike here shortly. Rearsets are all the way down and back.

This can give you an idea of how flexed my legs are, I feel like I can’t lower myself off the bike any further than that.

17. Quick6RR

I previously had a 14 636 which I tracked but it was with stock rearsets and clip on’s. That bike was far more comfortable than my R6 (I understand it’s a comparison between a street bike and modded track bike), but I do wonder if I’d be able to get more mobility on a tracked out 636.

FourThreeSix likes this.
  18. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

having the pegs low and back likely isnt helping you hang off or feel secure to the tank while hanging off.

19. Thunderace

Thunderace Well-Known Member

At 6'8" and 300 lbs. before gear, there is nothing I can do to make myself comfortable on my bike. You may need to change your riding style a bit, because taller guys cannot hang off the bike like the shorter fellas. Pegram is a great example of a guy that is very fast, but his style is far from the norm of the fastest guys now. I also have a size 14 boot which I have to be conscious of all the time, because my toes drag easily.

If you have given yourself all the room you can with you footpegs and clipons, I think that's really all you can do. Either keep riding the bike to get more comfortable or switch to a different bike.

20. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

isnt Corey Alexander like 6'3"??