1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R3 Fork Oil Weight

Discussion in 'Tech' started by breakneckPace, Mar 13, 2017.

1. breakneckPace

breakneckPace Well-Known Member

Hey beebs. I'm looking for some help as I'm building up my race bike for the season. I've got me a nice little Yamaha R3 and I picked up the Ohlins NIX 22-Series Cartridge Kit for it. Now it's come time to install that little beauty which gives a great opportunity to replace the fork oil with some fresh stuff as well. Sadly, I'm not quite sure what weight oil I should be filling it with, which is where you helpful souls come in. I'm about 190 lbs and it's for a race bike, so I'm assuming I'd want something thicker in weight? (like 10w or something?) but your advice is much appreciated! thanks in advance.

2. jkraft

jkraft Well-Known Member

what does Ohlins recommend?

3. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

This.^

I would assume it's 1309, they may have something new. It's a cartridge fork, oil weight is much less of a consideration than damping rod forks. Adjust springs (mechanical and air)and clickers to get the feel you want, if you can't get it, change the setting (stack).

If you're not going to disassemble the cartridge, don't bother. The dirt is in there and it will still be there after you drain and refill the oil outside.

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  4. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

All that.