1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R1 advice

Discussion in 'Tech' started by RonR, Mar 21, 2017.

1. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

2004 R1. I need a new clutch and am not going with the slipper type. Any suggestions of brands that seem to hold up would be appreciated. Also my throttle bodies are slow closing if I let off the gas at 4000 or so rpm while sitting in neutral. If I close the throttle by hand they shut right away. I don't notice it while riding but the bike is new to me and "riding" is about 100 yards of driveway. Checked cables and return spring and all is good. Throttle snaps back quickly all the way when you let go of it. I know ( or think I do ) it's fly by wire so I'm a little lost. Thanks for your help.

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

The YCCT (fly by wire) was intro'd on the 2007 model year R1 ;)

3. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

My butterflies do not move when the engine is off. So do they work off of vacuum? Thanks

4. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Ok. Looked at some online pictures and it looks like there is an upper and a lower row of butterflies. So assuming (I know) the cable opens the lower set what opens the upper. And why does it close slower when I let go as opposed to shutting by hand. Thanks

5. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

The uppers are driven by a Servo motor. Do you know if you have the upgraded throttle position sensors? That was an issue on that model.

6. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

No idea. It has been sitting awhile. New to me. Has power commander and other performance mods. Is the upgrade a Yamaha part or after market. Thanks

7. Rhino48

Yamaha dealer should be able to check your VIN and verify. It's a Yamaha part that they had a recall for

8. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Thanks

9. Rhino48

Oh, and just get a Yamaha clutch

BrianC636 likes this.
  10. Rhino48

Also recommend disconnecting the Power Commander entirely and ride it like that for a few miles see if anything changes

11. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Update. I pulled the clutch cover to check wear and found an STM clutch. Do they need to warm up to work properly. I still haven't got passed my driveway. Thanks

12. Rhino48

Warm up not needed. What's the clutch problem you're having?

13. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Slips on hard acceleration.

14. Rhino48

Tear it apart and refurbish.

15. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

Will do. Thanks

16. Rhino48

Want a printed shop manual for free? PM me.

17. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

That is very kind of you. I actually bought the shop and owners manuals the same day I bought the bike. Thanks