1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

quick shifter or full exhaust?

Discussion in 'General' started by wwsuzuki, Nov 28, 2010.

1. wwsuzuki

wwsuzuki Well-Known Member

Should I buy a quick shifter or trade out my ol faithful slip on exhaust and get a full exhaust?

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What is you end goal?

3. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Suspension..

4. wwsuzuki

I raced last year with how it is now. Probably went backwards building a race bike. Got full ohlins suspension 25mm and ttx rear. Got braded brake lines ,power commander, clip on ,rear sets,vesrah pads. Someone gave me the slip on so I used it. I have it set up for gp shift and I dont use the clutch now on going up in gears. Ex 2,3,4,5,6.

5. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

:stupid: + tracktime or instruction

6. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

:stupid:

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

if the exhaust nets some hp AND weight savings... I cant see how a quick shifter is gonna beat that unless youre extremely slow at gear transitions.

8. wwsuzuki

That is a good point turbo! But how bad is clutchless shifting on my bike?

9. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

A quickshifter is worth about 9' per upshift compared to a bike without a QS.
    If you have (2) of the exact same bikes HP, rider weight, etc...and are going down a straight side by side and one bike has a QS and the other bike doesn't, you will have gained 9' per shift on the other bike.
    If you shift (3) times, that's a 27' margin going into T1, if you brake exactly at the same time.

I think that's a somewhat accurate assessment.

10. wwsuzuki

Gapman what about the same info for a slip on to full exhaust?

11. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Do you want to keep up with the "Jones" or actually go faster?

Modern exhaust on a stock motor is pretty damn good. Now if you have a fully built motor sure drop a small fortune on a full exhaust but I think unless you are out setting track records you'd be better off spending the money on improving you skills rather than shaving a few pounds and adding a few HP

12. wrparrish

wrparrish Well-Known Member

You cant extrapolate that as easily, because the power gained, and weight loss is unknown, and would vary from pipe to pipe, and tune, etc.

13. 418

418 Expert #59

I've got a QS, been running a slip on all year long. A well setup QS is super smooth and helps you get out of some longer corners you need to up shift on. That alone is worth some time.

14. wwsuzuki

Gixxerjohn: jones is pretty fast id be happy sticking with him. I get to the track as often as work lets.
    418: thats a good point! Fast is smooth and smooth is fast! My sgt in the marines use to hit me in the head saying it over and over! Lol

15. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

If you have not had formal instruction, that should be your first priority

16. wwsuzuki

Formal instruction?

17. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Well i guess this means you have not had formal instruction. There are plenty of track schools, one of the most popular is the California superbike school. If you want to lower your track times this is the best way to go.

18. wwsuzuki

Never heard it called that, we call it a school. Yea ive been to one. But ur right seat time is where its at. But that wasnt my question. It was if u had to choose between exhaust or quick shift.

19. Mikey75702

Mikey75702 Well-Known Member

My choice would depend on the goal. If I wanted to make power for the sake of it, I would do the exhaust. If I wanted a bike that was smoother, and easier to ride (to make me faster) I would go with the shifter. You probably won't see more then 2-3 HP and a couple #'s from upgrading the exhaust. I think the quick shifter would benefit more.

And are you a racer or trackday guy. Cause if you are just a trackday guy, both are most likely a waste of money. Racer makes slightly more sense, cause you are trying to beat someone, not just your last lap time.

20. wwsuzuki

Yea I race the southeast region. That is when im not working. Yea quickshifter is what im getting.