1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question on towing (more specifically with RAM 1500)

Discussion in 'General' started by sbk1198, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Phl218

Phl218 .

haha. that trailer is like a sail in the wind. i'd prolly get 18MPG if i stuck with the speed limit. which is somehow impossible.

2. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

What year? May have something off. Honestly only about 3mpg difference (@70mph) between loaded and empty mpg.
    I got the 4.0 V6.

3. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

It's a '17, with the 3.5L.

@ 60mph (my commute), it'll get 20-21.
    @ 75mph, it'll get 17-18
    @60mph, pullng my sail of a TH, I'll get 9-10.

wrx_02 likes this.
  4. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Sounds like pretty normal mileage for a Tacoma. They are well known for crap MPG, been living with it for a long time.

masshole likes this.
  5. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I really like the new 3L diesels from Dodge and Ford, but man is the price premium hard to accept.

It would probably be a perfect match to my 20' toy hauler, but I just can't stomach the added cost of fuel and potential maintenance down the road compared to a tried-and-true V8 that gets about 8.5-9 mpg all day........I just wish I had that low end-grunt.

6. Phl218

Phl218 .

Drive one ;)

But: over the last 30k miles, the diesel only saved me $800 vs a hemi based on: $2.50 regular vs $2.80 diesel , ED avg Mpg 23;hemi 17 mpg

7. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

No matter what you drive gas or diesel everything sucks mpg towing. Price we all pay to have trailers.

Razr likes this.
  8. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Interesting. My trailer is a 8.5x16 with extra height so it's like a parachute. Probably pulling between 4500-5000 lbs when loaded up with all my stuff and bikes, so similar to your TH. May have to look into it more now. I'm skeptical of the diesels because of higher maintenance costs. I don't think it would save me anything on fuel though.

Where the hell are you getting that cheap diesel from?? Around here in Virginia gas is about that, $2.50-2.60 but diesel is in the low $3 range. When I drove to Daytona a couple of weeks ago, I had a F-350 dually super duty with the 6.7L diesel (rental truck). Thing was a beast but it averaged only 9.5 mpg for the entire trip and the diesel was between $3.30 and $3.55 in South Carolina, Georgia and Florida. Slightly cheaper in NC but not by much. That was an expensive weekend!!! Paid more for fuel than race fees!

9. Phl218

Phl218 .

The track&trail is really high, we are talking frame over axles and then the body. Wheel wells inside are maybe 5” high. Trailer floor is easly 30” off the ground and then you have another 8’ inside.

Greenville is amongst the lowest gas prices in the nation.

10. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Haha, I'm afraid I'd like it too much! The idea of my truck not hunting gears in strong headwinds is tempting, but I honestly don't tow all that often, and my 5.0 has been averaging a pretty amazing 20.3mpg on a normal daily drive cycle, and can get 22-24 on the highway at 70mph. That's amazing coming from my old 5.4L.

Only thing that really sucks about the new F150 powerstroke is that they currently only offer it on Lariat trims and up......

Phl218 likes this.