1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question on towing (more specifically with RAM 1500)

Discussion in 'General' started by sbk1198, Oct 31, 2018.

1. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

I'm looking on their website in their tables for towing capacities of all the RAM 1500s for a particular year and found this:

upload_2018-10-31_22-8-18.png

How the hell do I know which one I have? Or if I were to buy another truck, how can I know which one I'm getting? In my case i'm in the bottom section because it's a 5.7L V8, Quad Cab with 6'4" box and 4x4. But there are 4 in there that fit that description with some very different towing capacities. It looks like the axle ratio is what makes the biggest difference, but how would one know which model he has? And in the case of the 3.0L Ecodiesel one at the bottom, the last 2 are identical except for the GCWR and the trailer weight. Everything else is the same, so what makes them 1000 lb different from each other on the GCWR and TWR? Can someone please enlighten me on this.

2. trojanliu

trojanliu Active Member

To figure out which final drive ratio you have, you can check the sticker if you still have it and you bought the truck new. Otherwise you can try out some of the VIN decoders for transmission. I’m guessing that the RAM forums has a VIN breakdown so you can see which position is the transmission.

As for why the two bottom trucks are mostly identical, I would guess that some equipment (based on trim level) would limit the capacity. Both of my cars have a sticker on the driver’s door sill by the capacity sticker that indicates the total capacity has been reduced due to installed equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sbk1198 likes this.
  3. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

TX Joose and sbk1198 like this.
  4. sbk1198

5. Phl218

Phl218 .

No clue but i bought my ecodiesel 2WD because of the higher tow rating ...

6. sbk1198

Difference looks to be pretty minimal between 4x4 and 4x2. I'm indifferent either way. I now live in an area where I don't really need 4x4 anymore. Hell even when I lived in the midwest, I probably put it in 4x4 like twice in the two winters that I had it.

Phl218 likes this.
  7. Phl218

Phl218 .

8. sbk1198

How do you like the Ecodiesel and do you know roughly how much you're towing with it? Size of trailer?

9. Phl218

Phl218 .

Love it, except the turbo-lag, but apparently the green diesel unit i have in it has an update available for that now.

Towing this:https://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/products/toy-haulers/track-&-trail/model/17RTHSE

Like a breeze. (With wd- hitch)
    Did Greenville,SC - Austin and back with 4 dudes and 4 bikes. Avg speed 75 mph, 9MPG

10. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

9mpg that’s it? My 5.7 2500 4x4 gets that doing 75 with a toy hauler roughly 7500 pounds all together... I thought that would be way better

( disclaimer not a dig at you just shocked thought it would be better)

11. Phl218

Phl218 .

75 mph over all those miles AVG - that’s not 75 just on the flat interstate, that was pedal to the metal for 36 hours of driving

Doing 75, moderately loaded: 14mpg

Around town empty: 23

Interstate fast: 25
    Feathering it: 31

sbk1198, zertrider and JBowen33 like this.
  12. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

TLR67 likes this.
  13. LossPrev

LossPrev Well-Known Member

I used the "look up my vehicle" link at the bottom of this site before buying my '19 Ram the other day thinking that I've got a great amount of payload for hitch weight at 1780lbs

https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing-guide.html

Then I look at the door sticker and it says 1312lbs...

14. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

My old Ram 5.9L would get 9mpg with a 7x14 loaded down, 9mpg towing a 6x12 with 3 bikes + pitbike and gear, it would get 9mpg with a single bike in the bed, and it would get 12mpg unladen with the bed cover on. :p No matter what I hitched to it always got 9mpg towing\hauling haha

15. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

I get about 17mpg (70mph) with my v6 tacoma while towing 2500lbs. I'd cry if I got below 10mpg.

16. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

Okay that makes sense then. I was going to say lol I average 7-10 towing with hills etc flat highway 9-10 towing. Unloaded best I get is 14.

17. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Thats why I traded that Ram in on a 4Runner... towing and getting over 18mpg is nice :D

wrx_02 likes this.
  18. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

I'm lucky to get 18 empty out of my Tacoma. Weird.

I have to work and drive really slow to get 10 pulling my TH.

19. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

I get 17-20 towing a full 7x12 with my Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. Tows so much better and smoother than the 07 Ram with the 4.7L V8.

wrx_02 and Phl218 like this.
  20. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

You should have got a new Honda Pilot, apparently it gets 18 doing that:)