1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for shop owners (liability for shipped goods)

Discussion in 'General' started by pjzocc, Sep 22, 2017.

1. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Race shop/performance shop owners - looking for a "what would you do" or "what is your responsibility" answer:

Let's say I ship a part for my bike to a shop that agreed to service and return. I have confirmation from USPS via tracking that said part was indeed delivered to shop's mailbox. Said box has mysteriously disappeared and shop claims it is nowhere on their property, alluding to theft from their mailbox. Upon discussion with postmaster and the carrier on the route, it was further disclosed that said package was handed to a shop employee. When presented with said information from the USPS, the shop still claims zero liability and offers a minimal discount on the service that was to be performed, provided I send another new part to be serviced. Basically, "too bad, not my problem" attitude.

Doesn't the shop's insurance cover theft in such a case? USPS says they have no liability, as they fulfilled their contract of shipping the item and have confirmation of delivery. To their credit, they investigated the incident to provide further details of the delivery, which is more than it appears the shop has done. For full disclosure, there was no insurance paid for on the shipment (which wouldn't have mattered since the USPS confirmed delivery), and no signature was required from the shop for the delivery.

Due to the loss of the item, I've now purchased a replacement from another shop with said service performed ($900) and will miss a trackway that's already paid for and can't get a refund ($217). So, the service that would have been done at this shop was $250 giving me a net loss of $867. (Got a replacement so as not to miss the ANOTHER track event I have scheduled/paid for)

What recourse should a customer expect, if any? And how would you handle this case if it happened in YOUR shop.

No names to be given, this is a hypothetical.

2. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Follow up question - what is the best way to sharpen a pitchfork?

3. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

No pitchforks needed. No names to be disclosed.

Asking for a friend
    ;)

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Hindsight and all that shit: UPS and signature required. This eliminates a lot of "I didn't get it" or "stolen off the stoop" claims.

As for the rest it's a he said/ she said. I hate to say this but you're basically f@cked.

dtalbott likes this.
  5. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Agreed on the hindsight...

But, if I have the USPS carrier's statement saying it was handed to a shop employee? (Implications of legal recourse)

6. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Why was the part being shipped to the shop in the first place?

And why is the shop requesting that you source the parts?

7. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

And the shop owner has the employee saying they never saw said package. Same deal just on the other side of the fence.

8. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

OEM part being "retooled". Bike is brand new. Part pulled from the bike and shipped to be serviced, then to be returned for re-installation.

9. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

True, but federal employee and can submit written statement - should have merit, no?

10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Stealing the mail is a big no-no...

pjzocc likes this.
  11. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Not sure why that would matter, could have been a customer standing there drinking coffee. No real proof it was an employee. Needed to have signature receipt, otherwise just he said/he said. Sucks but without written confirmation, don't see how much could be done..

12. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Carrier stated the shop was closed and an employee had to unlock the door to open and receive the delivery.

13. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Better, but still with no name or sig....................... :(

14. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know...

15. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Lesson to be learned; never ship via USPS.

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

At least not without a return receipt.

17. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

This thread is worthless without names

ineedanap likes this.
  18. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

See, unlike a lot of others here I know where that dungeon line starts, nope nope nope. :D

19. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Nobody has even been called a pussy-ass bitch yet?

20. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

If they were closed like the postman said, an employee running up there to grab something he left or who the hell knows may have seen an opportunity to just grab and go. On the other hand, Mr postman coulda delivered when they were closed and not want to return and simply pocketed it or trashed it. With no sig it's 100 percent impossible to tell and both the postman and or employee could be responsible.

The shop owner could pressure his guys more to get the truth, review any security tapes ect to do his due diligence and maybe make you feel a bit better.

Takeaway is: pay insurance and pay for signature required. Sucks bad but no way to tell what really happened.