1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for military/navy folks

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by HPPT, Nov 28, 2003.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

When Dubya was flown to an aircraft carrier in an F-18, would the call sign have been Air Force One, or Navy One?

2. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

Marine One

I believe only the Marines fly the F-18's, if so then it would have been Marine One. But, if it was a Navy jet, then it would be Navy One.

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I think the Marines fly him in choppers. F-18 is Air Force/Navy. But that answers my question. Thank you.

4. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

Navy One it is.

Both the Navy and the Marines fly the F-18. The newer F-18E Super Hornet (2 seats) went into service with the Navy first.

I'd be willing bet the MMFIC of the Navy made sure it was a Navy bird that brought GWB onboard the carrier.:)

5. peekay

peekay Well-Known Member

Incidently, the carrier landing was in a Navy S-3B Viking, not an F-18. A Secret Service agent must accompany Bush wherever he goes, so the F-18, having a maximum of two seats, could not be used.

Since no sitting president had ever flown onboard a Navy plane before, Bush's flight was the first designated "Navy One" in history.

-peekay

6. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification peekay!

I'll bet the Secret Service took a dim view if that too. Wasn't it just a week or two before GWB's landing that another Viking went off the side of one of our carriers after landing? All ejected safely I think.

7. peekay

peekay Well-Known Member

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Thanks guys.

9. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

ohh hummm

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Re: Re: Question for military/navy folks

:confused: actually, no, not interested. Ignored.;)

11. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Question for military/navy folks

Irrelevant so you pout feelings hurt so you ignore…. Awwwww to bad……

Irrelevant so you pout feelings hurt so you ignore…. Awwwww to bad……

Actually I posted the S3 answer before I realized it had already been posted so I erased it... hence the ohh hummm, I was not trying to bait you....

Last edited: Nov 30, 2003