1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about slipper clutch and engine braking

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Blipstein, Jul 5, 2022.

1. Blipstein

Blipstein Member

I had to replace a clutch at the racetrack last week and felt a drastic increase in engine braking. I thought maybe the fibers would break-in and slip a bit more but that didn't seem to be the case after two solid days of riding. So my stack height must be too tall.

Does anyone have advice on how to decrease engine braking and increase the slip with OEM clutch components? (I have a Bauce racing flash and I cannot adjust EB via the ECU, so it must be done mechanically)

I was thinking I could replace one or two of the #8 steels with #7 steels?

Here is the fiche:
    https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/2015/yzfr1-yzfr1fb/clutch

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

2. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Assuming you have little to no drag with the clutch lever engaged...why would want to increase slippage? Prior to slipper clutches riders controlled down shift slippage with the lever. (I never could master the technique). The point is, when you're accelerating you want no slippage.

3. moto316

moto316 Well-Known Member

Im assuming this is for a 2015 r1? Im a kawi guy so I don't have the specs but on the zedx10's there is a range they give you for usable stack heights in the kit manual, as well as different height spring retainers that pair with the different ranges so that the proper pressure is still applied to the clutch pack. Maybe someone with a YEC manual can chime in as to what the ranges are for the stack height?

4. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Something about a slipper clutch and engine braking from a member called Blipstein is just too ironic to not call out.

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

you need to know the stack height range first.
    When ordering clutch consumables you should always order ~50% more of what you need in regards to fibers, steels, & springs.
    Most times the steels can be refurbished with a media blast cabinet IF they arent warped. Easy way to check is on some glass & a feeler guage.
    You can always check used fiber thickness when youre not asses & elbows at the track.