1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quadcopter for track day?

Discussion in 'General' started by bradd15, Feb 20, 2015.

1. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Man, I was just going to post that!

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

Great non-sackos think alike :D

3. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

Great. Here come all the Nancy's calling for a ban on flying cameras. That vid was ridiculous. From the screen shot I figured it snagged a post while following. That thing comes crashing down from heights unknown. That was a very odd occurrence and before we use that as an example of banning them all together get some facts about why that happened and improve the process.

That dude can bitch all he wants but when video is used by him to showcase his talents and he makes money off it it's OK.

4. BigBird

BigBird blah

Well I think there is valid concerns. You just can't gloss it over with it makes him money so he should be ok with the possibility that the camera hits him it the head/face, and may kill him.

5. Crybaby™

It might hurt but it won't kill him. Geesh

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Having a drone crash into you while barreling down a ski slope. What could possibly go wrong?

BigBird likes this.
  7. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Simple solution: let the ding dong use the drone when he is practicing by himself, not during a race.

8. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

At slalom run speeds probably won't kill him- on a GS or downhill run it sure could. No way they should be allowed flying directly above the race line or nearby like it appeard here.

Gorilla George likes this.
  9. TSC_113

TSC_113 Look At me!!!

Where does it say that it was his Drone? My impression was it was being used to film the races and it nearly crashed on top of a competitor! So if it hits him and slows him down or causes a fall then it has affected the outcome of a race.

10. whitarnold

whitarnold Bike #137

STT and most tracks like BMP have a rule against it - but.......

I just found this on the STT Forum....not my video!

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

Doesn't MotoAmerica also use drones?

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Australasian SBK seems to use drones.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Odd or not I cannot have that kind of thing happen at our events.

BigBird likes this.
  14. Crybaby™

Why not?! Separates the men from the boys. If you can dodge a drone you can dodge a C superstock novice. :)

All jokes aside, it could get out of control if left up to racers, but I would think MotoAmerica might be able to up their coverage with a relatively inexpensive solution, such as this.

Don't need a full size Helicopter beaming cameras feeds if you can fly a couple of these at different spots around the tracks. The viewpoint from off the ground seems better.

Throw some Lily's in for paddock coverage and you can have some decent footage with only the interviewer controlling the camera

Edit: Heck all MotoAmerica needs to up their game are a few of these things. Just place the tracker on Hayes and Beaubier and call it a day ;)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  15. BigBird

BigBird blah

16. natedogg624

natedogg624 Well-Known Member

That doesn't look like drone footage. To be honest, it looks more like a Google Map flyover with GPS tech overlayed by the PUSH device.

If it actually was a drone, it was probably filmed while the track was cold and then added the PUSH telemetry overlay.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, different altogether. No drones chasing bikes but the tech is pretty cool.

BigBird likes this.
  18. Maximumjeff

Maximumjeff Well-Known Member

That was probably ABI Photography.

19. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

AFM just had a drone out at their March round. the announcer was saying something about how the pilot is FAA certified or something. it all seemed like a very coordinated effort by the club.

20. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Drones for coverage of racing flown by qualified individuals is pretty cool. Drones flown by some random person that bought a drone for track day hero video is distracting and quite annoying.

BigBird likes this.