1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Q*

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Mar 19, 2024.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

You're gonna be surprised

2. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Fuck I am!

I’m getting adopted by an undiscovered Amazonian tribe. Rest of you fuckers can get all HAL’d. :Poke:

3. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Interesting vid, just hopping around to the different topics he covers.

If the advancements become so great that we achieve singularity in a handful of years, I don't see that transition to a post-scarcity society being a smooth one.

I wonder if homesteading will become more mainstream if the economic effects are massive.

Great time to be Amish.

4. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

This is the beeb. Someone will be along shortly to go full retard thus keeping balance to force.

5. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

This is all a little overblown. We have no real AI just language models. It's just a robo parrot

cpettit and Jed like this.
  6. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Garbage in, garbage out…

cpettit likes this.
  7. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I've thought about that in the context of if shit really hits the fan us rural folks with a bunch of Amish neighbors will be in much better shape to survive. You city folk are fucked.

969 and dtalbott like this.
  8. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Enjoy the initiation rituals.

9. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Pretty much. I recall reading an anecdote about how the math responses to questions fed to ChatGPT have degraded based on people's up / down votes of the answers. Apparently, you can gas-light AI.

I do like it for coding Nodejs scripts quick and dirty, but they're rarely right the first time. I'm in health tech and everyone is screaming about how AI is going to change the world in health. It will, at the research level for sure. At the daily work level, it's got a ways to go. There's so much information in so many formats that it's incredibly difficult to normalize into something you can feed a model to spit out valid results. I've seen patients with over 2000 individual documents and some of those docs are hundreds of pages. Some are images with no text, some are barely legible scans of scans. Feeding all that into a ML model to get a quick summary would be nice. We're not there yet.

Neural network models on stuff you can normalize like study results vs patient demographics and other diagnosed conditions is easy to do. It's just logic:

[​IMG]

PatricksDad likes this.
  10. TSWebster

TSWebster Well-Known Member

E Reed likes this.
  11. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

I'm moving up in the world. Got my own beeb thread and everything.

E Reed and Banditracer like this.
  12. TSWebster

TSWebster Well-Known Member

Not sure that would be moving up.

E Reed, Banditracer and redtailracing like this.
  13. 418

418 Expert #59

This is the tech industry MO.

We are going to distrupt the industry.

Few years later the company is nothing more than a fart in the wind.

tony 340 likes this.
  14. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

I don't know if it's the case but there is a certain Y2K 'impending vibe of doom' about this latest frenzy....

Boman Forklift and Jed like this.
  15. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Tech bros, not the industry. The industry generally rolls their eyes at the tech bros.

418 likes this.
  16. Michael Bassani

Michael Bassani Well-Known Member

The "impending vibe of doom" isn't coming from technologists about the technology, it's coming from the people working for the suits that think that they can replace their workforce with generative AI and the fear of being a line item on a spreadsheet that ends up with them getting laid off. The tech itself is very cool when used appropriately, but most implementations severely lacking but a lot of C-Suite are lacking vision when it comes to these tools.

I've spent my career in the startup field and part of my last role was working with startup founders to mature their organizations, and chat regularly with many of them about this.

The smart business owners that are succeeding with generative AI are using it as a tool and a force multiplier, not a replacement for their workforce. The not smart ones are looking at their marketing department and thinking they can replace them with midjourney or Sora.

Besides, most "AI Startups" are just an API wrapper around ChatGPT, and I swear to fucking god if I see one more renewal come around with a vendor offering a "AI Copilot" for a 75% up-charge I'm gonna lose it.
    035fce70-789e-4219-acd7-850b04d0c463_1024x1378.jpg

BigBird and Jed like this.
  17. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Hank Williams Jr’s country boy can survive becomes a reality… finally :D bring it! I would absolutely love it!

18. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

While the rest of you deal with the city slickers, I'll be hiding out back. When the commotion dies down, you can find me sitting on a sack of seeds from the wildwood weed.

auminer and cpettit like this.
  19. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I’ll be right there to your northwest just a bit my fellow Appalachia survivor :D

hell I’m the first gen born away from down home… can’t wait to get back… for good would be wonderful

20. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I'm gonna have to fly up and bring you down.... You're 'bout half crazy...

:D

nigel smith likes this.