1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PTO Modifications

Discussion in 'General' started by Yzasserina, Dec 24, 2020.

1. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

A payout or extension for us was brought up, but they never signed off on it. Id love a 60% payout, given current circumstances.

2. First, ima need to know what "PTO" means. :D

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

my employer allows 480 hours carried over of AL... any other banks there is no max. With the addition of covid we get 80 hours at full rate admin leave and the rest at FMLA 2/3rds and you cant come back until you obtain 2 neg results.

for 2020 I had 235 hours of leave paid... 40 of it from my personal leave. Riding out til Jan to return. Still have a lil over 1,000 hours on the books and still not maxed out on AL Should hit the use or lose it benchmark by the summer if I dont burn any time.
    My wife got paid out 6 weeks PLUS the rest of the year off to settle her vacay connundrum.

4. craig641

craig641 Well-Known Member

Yeah 60% is better than 0% for sure.

BigBird likes this.
  5. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Power Take-off

Gorilla George likes this.
  6. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

We carry up to 480 hours before you lose your PTO earnings. That’s about 7.7 hours per two week pay period for a team member that’s has 0-5 years, that goes up to 10.77 hours for those with 14 years or more.

Team members have an option to sell up to 100 hours each year as long as the carry at least 140 hours.

COVID hasn’t had an impact on that policy.

7. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I earn 4+ PTO hours per week with a max cap of 360. No rollover or use it or lose it, I just stop accruing when I hit the cap. One year ago this week we rolled from a traditional "vacation account plus sick leave account" system into a single PTO account, so I still have 300+ hours of "sick leave" that I can use in parallel with 360 PTO hours.

At separation I believe that I get 100% of PTO but 0% of sick leave. So I'm stuck trying to burn down the sick leave and burn down some of the PTO as well. It's a miniscule first world problem which I gladly admit is still causing me low-grade anxiety.

Jedb and BigBird like this.
  8. BigBird

BigBird blah

If you used the day off, then it's the same as going to work. In reality, you got paid full for the day by going to work, so the 60% is in addition.

9. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

2-3 years ago we went from 40 hours rollover of vacation time, unlimited sick time rollover. To PTO time(which is both vacation and sick time in one bucket), entirely use or lose. This coming year we are moving to FTO "Flexible Time Off". They repeatedly said there is no cap on FTO. But, FTO covers vacation, and there's something that could be construed as separate sick time, but it's only 40 hours for the year. There is no rollover, because FTO is "unlimited". Sick time doesn't roll over. Your only limit on PTO is "business needs". So, if your manager thinks the work still needs you there, you don't get the time off. But, as written, a person could take every other week off for the year and it's technically legal. Every management group is setting their own rules about what is acceptable use, and installing their own soft caps. My manager is using our old max of 240 hours PTO as his limit for FTO. No idea what happens if someone exceeds that.

I see this as a way for the company to work people like me more. I don't normally just take a day off. I was raised in a family that owned their own business, so if you took a day off you damn well better be doing something. This also saves the company money when an employee leaves. They won't have to pay out any banked vacation time.

10. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

For some context
    My company is Australian, but we operate globally. Employees in the following:
    US/Canada
    Nordics + Finland, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Poland, France, UK, Ireland
    HongKong, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand

Our People & Culture (new code name for HR) have done a pretty good job, IMO.
    All European except Germany, get the most favorable to employees of the national rules (which means all except Germany, get France's rules about PTO).
    Germany has its own structure and it supersedes EU-Community rules.

All of APAC gets the most favorable of the APAC community, which means Australian rules

Here in the North America, we have it pretty good, in that they harmonized our PTO schedule with France (20 days PTO even for newly hired, 3 days sick leave/yr, 2 floating holidays, national holidays, and unlimited PTO accrual). If you have tenure, you get an extra week at 5 years, 2 weeks at 7 years, etc..

UNTIL... two weeks ago.
    They have changed the PTO accrual policy so that you can only carry over 1/2 of your PTO maximum. A new employee can have the 20 days base PTO, and carry over 10 days.
    I have 20 days, plus I've accrued 300 hours of PTO (12 days) and by the time the policy is implemented in June, probably will have another 10 days. Under the new policy, I would not be able to accrue anything past 10 days. They (HR) have actually offered a payout of extra time once the policy goes into effect.

They are doing this for two reasons:
    They want to reduce their liability in terms of time that needs to be paid out.
    They actually want their employees to take off for a while and recharge ( truly is the motivation, not just HR pablum). Unlike my experience with US companies, it really does feel that they want us to use the vacation to be away and it's not a ploy.

We'll see how it shakes out.

BigBird likes this.
  11. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Pet The Ostrich...

Go on, you know you want to. It's really just a big peacock.

Gorilla George likes this.
  12. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

since the resident funny guys wont help you out. Paid Time Off. whether that is paid sick days, paid vacation, or paid holidays. Merry Christmas Chris! hope things are healing, and getting better. Ski

13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

My employer gave us something like 10 days of "COVID PTO" time, in addition to regular PTO accruals. The COVID PTO carries over to March or April of next year, so since I was already at my regular PTO cap, I started using regular PTO hours for the couple vaca's I took in the last 2 months and save the COVID days for next year I guy.

It took me ~24 hours to chew up and spit out COVID, so I didn't need to take any days off for it. :crackup:

14. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

No rollover at my company. We get a cap of 200 hours on the books. If you dont use it, you will stop accruing hours so you are wasting away. I try to keep mine right at 190 hours and just take a day off here and there. It doesnt start over or go away on a new calendar year. We get 80 hours sick time per year and that resets on a new calendar year. Sick time is not paid out if you get RIFed, but the vacation hours are paid out.

Your wifes lucky that she gets paid out at 60% of base pay when maxed out. You should be thankful for that. Mine just goes in the trash.

15. britx303

This thread has me SUPER grateful for my job. I worked 20 years in a Union and we maxed out at 15 days/3 weeks vacation after 10 years and NO sick days.

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Goddamn commie… :D

britx303 likes this.
  17. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

no holidays either? My longshoreman buddy gets paid really well BUT he has to be there. Cant do the old "no show" stuff anymore
    Plus with the amount of OT he works if he ever went back to regular time it would almost be like an income loss...haha
    Also he works with alot of high seniority folks so he's always last on the vacation calendar. I dont think he gets more than a week per calendar year worked
    No paid sick days...best you can do is buy a supplemental short term disability thru the union... which thankfully he did when he injured his arm motorbiking & was out 7 months.
    Im guessing he gets a union paid pension with full medical once he hits 20yrs... Funny how good the money is but the benefits not so much (other than medical)
    yet there would be people standing in a line for 2 weeks & would stab their mother to try and get hired on for less if the union decided to allow more members.

18. britx303

As an extremely anti-commie, this was actually a big issue/heated discussions countless times through the years with the business agents. I was only in the union because what "was" a great company to work for was union and it was required to join if you wanted to work there. F*ck commies:flag::D

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, right. ;)

:crackup:

20. britx303

We did have the usual holidays, Christmas, Thanksgiving,New Years, and a couple others but yep,thats it. No sick days,but you could use vacation to make a 40 hour check. So if you got sick and used vacation, come vacation payoff time,those days used were gone and left you with less coverage if you took a vacation.