1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project LW Entry for TT Isle of Man

Discussion in 'General' started by Olympus Racing, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

You don't get a vote now. If you give up we as a community will grab you by the nuts and hurl you across the pond at the Isle hammer toss style. I suggest finding cover immediately after you land as your bike won't be far behind. :D

2. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Ship bike and parts together, and get a van in the UK man. My Mate Pete Beale said he would looan you a van for over there, and he can be trusted buddy. It is the Manx in 2015 you are racing eh?

3. Olympus Racing

Olympus Racing Well-Known Member

no unfortunately I was not ready to get the bike or myself 100% for this year and didnt get my FIM license in time and all.
    So now Manx in 2016 and hopefully TT in 2017.

4. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

see ya in 2016 then

5. Olympus Racing

Having very hard time finding a shipping company that will deliver to the Isle of Man. Almost every company will do Ireland or England but very few will do Isle of Man.

Cost isn't very great either. I get quotes at about $1500 from US to UK and $2500 from UK to US.

Any help or leads would be very appreciated.

6. 418

418 Expert #59

At that cost wouldn't it better to just lease a bike from a reputable team?

7. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

And hope they don't put you on a pile of shit? I don't know. Paying to get your equipment over there for piece of mind sounds like a good idea.

Stefan priced a container to get to Manchester for about what Olympus is talking. But to get it over the channel to Douglas was double what it was to get it from the states to england. Fucking crazy

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  8. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Reference points: When I did the Manx Grand Prix in 2011, Ben Wylie helped me out. He and his crew chief showed up in their full rig, just like they had two months prior to the TT. Spares of everything, giant tent, flooring, living quarters; you name it. I rode his TT R6, he and his crew chief were my crew for the weekend, and they housed and fed me - total cost we agreed upon was $11k + anything I broke (consumables, incl. tires and fuel, were included). It sounds like a shitload, but I didn't have to spend a cent above that except for travel costs and anything non-race I wanted to do.

When I showed up for the TT the next year, I had paid $3500 to rent a 2012 GSX-R600, "built by TAS". It showed up the ferry, with a rear stand, a key, race plastics and K-Tech cartridges in a box. Oh, and antifreeze in the radiator. I had to wait til Tuesday of practice week for K-Tech to arrive and install the cartridges (which they did for free, good of them). I spent the majority of practice week sorting out the bike and finding all the little issues that you deal with turning a street bike into a race bike. The TAS guys were friendly and tried to help when they could spare time, but they had their own stuff to deal with.. my bike was built "by the guys back at the shop", I was told, the mechanics at the race knew nothing about it other than it existed. Most I think know its story, but needless to say... that TT didn't go very well for me.

TL;DR - I'd happily pay $4k to ship the bike that I personally built and touched every single bolt on, unless renting a full team from someone I knew and trusted was an option.

9. grasshopper

11k to go and participate in an event that you will never forget for the rest of your life? Shiiiiit sounds fair to me.

Fly over there rock star style and have a bike setup and ready to go. If I had 11k to burn I would be all over that like a fat kid on a cupcake.

I'm sure there are people at Road America that are spending that much or more to race this weekends round of MotoAmerica.

10. grasshopper

Is that pounds or dollars? LOL

11. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

all of those were USD

and yeah, cost-wise total it budgeted out about comparable to what I had planned for running a competitive one-bike show at a (then-AMA) weekend.

12. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

What Chris said...

13. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Have just completed my first arranged lease a bike deal for a USA racer for the manx, and it feels good to be giving back to you guys on the WERA site. Olympus, wait till you see the bike and the deal man, you will be placing an order tomorrow for next year man. I will leave iot up[ to the rider to announce it in his own time.

14. Olympus Racing

and mid season I am in need of a motor...

thats how you blow a motor up...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

take no prisoners... LOL

15. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Looks like you did a damn fine job. :(

16. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I'm assuming that's not a Spears motor.
    I've got plenty of engine parts, as well as a few complete stock engines.

17. Olympus Racing

haha of course not.
    incoming PM

18. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Did you have some sort of green motor oil that had everyone on the radio in a panic?

19. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

G Dawg is ya man mate

20. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Blame Motul for thinking neon green oil is a good idea.