1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem Vendor

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Yamaha179, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Yamaha179

Yamaha179 Well-Known Member

I have just concluded a six month experience with Rick Merhar of Accu-Products, Rocky River, OH. I know him through vintage racing and know he sells various race related products and does some machine/mechanical work on two stroke engines.

In December, 2012, I sent him a set of Yamaha cases for some mill work that I cannot do myself. I pre-paid him for the work and return shipping. After nine sets of email correspondence, requests for status of completion and promises of shipment I got tired. On 11 June 2013 I told him that if he did not return my parts and refund my payment by EOD 22 June I would file a complaint against him. He did not do so.

On 26 June 2013 the local Sheriff's Department accepted a complaint against Merhar. Prior to filing for an arrest warrant, which would have been a nation-wide felony warrant, the investigator called him and explained the facts of life. He posted a refund to my PayPal account the following day and returned my cases the next week. The complaint, still on file at the SD, has been cleared but remains on file.

I know Merhar has supporters. Some people have had good results dealing with him. Most folks probably do not know me, but I've been around for a long time and am a charter WERA member. This is not a BS case. I can support everything I say: If you deal with this person be careful. Caveat emptor.
    Lyn Garland
    WERA #1598

2. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

Lyn- thanks for the information. Too bad to hear about that, Rick used to race a good bit- I can not understand why he would be so irresponsible. Glad you got your stuff back.

3. shift96

shift96 Well-Known Member

2 sides to every story

4. footwork

:crackhead:

5. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

You really must not know Lyn Garland. Which is fine. I can assure that his side
    will be factually correct.

Never met a more honest person..as well as patient. :)

6. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

no dog pile here, I'm sure there are 2 sides to the story, but.....

If Lyn had to call the Sheriff, somethin aint right.

7. shift96

shift96 Well-Known Member

Understood. Just saying I've seen posting like this in the past where the person accused is not around to offer his side. I'm sure this is accurate. didn't mean to offend anyone

8. footwork

9. charles

charles The Transporter

Sometimes there are NOT 'two sides' to a story, in this case more like a factual narration from a guy with a very good reputation, who spent six months waiting, not to mention actually getting the work done that he had paid for up front. Lyn happens to be the kind of an individual you just do not screw around with, and so Rick just has to bite the bullet on this one and learn from it, hopefully.

10. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

There are not 2 sides to every story. Rick has been taking peoples money and not delivering parts for years. He has a few " buds" that love to defend him, but I honestly have no idea how he is still in business. Sorry to hear someone else got taken advantage of.

11. Hate McDead

Hate McDead Well-Known Member

This ain't got nothin' to do about nothin', but one year Rich Merhar borrowed my set of traveling torches (you know, the small bottles) at Mid-O. Just had em filled up. Anyway, I saw him using them that night; he was just holding the lit torch and yaking away to someone like he had all the time in the world. Later he brought back the empty bottles and said they ran out just as he finished the job. Never offered to pay to refill them. I made a mental note right on the spot that Rick Merhar ain't gettin' nothin'from me in the future.

12. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

A good friend of mine often says, "leopards don't change their spots".

13. mgmark

mgmark George Tirebiter for President

Lyn, this is basically the same thing he did to me a few years ago with my 750 cranks. I sent him two cranks and the replacement parts, and was told no problem, and it shouldn't have been. After almost a year of excuses and no cranks returned I contacted the State of FL who sent him a "friendly" letter about interstate commerce. Merhar got pissed but finished up my cranks within a week doing a competent job.
    I think he takes in too much shop work. If he is too busy to do a job he should not accept them. I hear he does ok on retail sales but I've never bought anything from him, and will certainly never send him any shop work again.
    Mark

14. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I've ordered stuff from Rick over the years, and honestly, he tends to under-charge me. I've brought it to his attention, but he never seemed too concerned. I think he's probably a good guy, but just lacking organization and general business skills.

15. Woody_303

Woody_303 Well-Known Member

I placed my first and last order with this vendor this past spring. I decided to call in my order rather than go through his web site. Red flags started to fly immediately. Although my experience wasn't nearly as unpleasant as many of yours, it did take several e-mail messages and about two months to resolve. I would not recommend this vendor to anybody.