1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Privateers always the bad guys?

Discussion in 'General' started by coeff, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Actually I thought that Yates was being nice in catching himself and changing the words he used. He could have just said the slow guys got in my way - which they did and do every race. Nowhere in there is he condemning them for racing, just stating a fact of AMA Superbike racing and most any other racing. Backmarkers get in the way of the front runners (especially at a tiny track like PPIR) and they often affect the outcome of the race.

Now if Yates had ranted and raved about how none of the slow guys should be allowed out there in the first place it would be different. But he didn't, he just stated it like he would any other problem he had in the race like suspension or tires. No big deal, just another facet of racing he had to deal with to get 2nd place.

2. JurgenW

JurgenW Well-Known Member

You are right Mongo, PPIR is a tiny and short track and it doesn't take long for the front runners to catch up with the first pack of "being lapped" riders. However, this is a fact and the front runners have to include that in their calculations.
    The track offers plenty of space to use factory horsepower and as the front runners move up in the pack, the riders get faster and faster through the tight Ess-esses meaning lesser slow-down to the fast guys.
    So, what happens is that the fast guys are using the slow guys as blockers between them and the next fast guy (if I can pass him here then the guy behind me has to follow him through a couple of turns) and try these almost impossible moves on the slower guys including using them as a bounce-off. A mis-calculation of such leads to unwanted get-offs (as seen with Miguel) which doesn't put the being lapped rider at fault but at risk in my opinion. I was thinking about Jason's suggestion of using blue flags but it would become a big CF for the cornerworker to figure out who is lapping and who is being lapped as the rider field is really tight and even riders in 10th or 15th position are starting to lap other riders while they are being lapped.

PPIR was a great weekend and we (Colorado) had the most fans ever watching motorcycle racing. I browsed the stands and to my surprise saw many non-motorcycle type spectators that are just enjoying the fact of racing. Perhaps NASCAR is doing us a favor after all. The track is even considering hiring a consultant to increase the interest in local and national motorcycle racing.

I think we are on the right way ...

3. Renaissance man

Renaissance man Well-Known Member

Aaron Yates

I first saw/met Aaron Yates in 1991 at the WERA GNF - Road Atlanta. Yamaha was sponsor the "Future Stars" on the Seca II. Aaron won and I went over to congratulate him. He seemed like a fairly nice guy. Over the past couple of years, I have seen Aaron at Road A and he seemed like a pretty decent guy to me.

In regards to Backmarkers, etc. I have never seen him maliciously go after a "lapper" in anyway shape or form. I think the incident at PPIR was racing. Obviously Aaron had to shut it off to recover, but you could also say the lapped guy didn't leave himself anywhere to go either. (He was pointed down the track on a line that counted on Yates getting a good drive. When Yates bobbled, the lapped guy had nowhere to go)

Marcus

Marcus

Last edited: Jun 4, 2002
  4. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

Re: Aaron Yates

Well if you like him then he has to be a dick. :p ;) :D

Just apply the 50/50 rule. 50% will like him while 50% will hate him. No need to make it a popularity contest, he could give a shit less if we love him or hate him. He gets paid the same either way. :)

5. WERA522

WERA522 Lost

slower guys

If the fast factory guys don't want to run races with traffic, then I suggest (IMHO) that they run in ralleys. There will always be traffic and getting around traffic takes more skill than racing around a track following a line. They need to calculate how they can SAFELY (It's their responsibility) pass and still make decent lap times. These incidents this weekend happen. People pass others then lose it and recover and someone catches up to them. Be glad no one is seriouisly hurt. I like the traffic. It makes for a more interesting race. A race where the mind is thinking outside the box. But then again these are my opinions and I do like the idea of fielding 100 bikes and show them what the slow riders, I mean back markers are all about. ;) Can we say 3 wide in the turns? :eek:

6. wera 688

wera 688 in the mosh pit

two years ago at Road A practice for the Big Kuhuna, Yates tagged Scott Gardner so hard it knocked his fork tubes crooked. Scott didnt wreck and neither did Yates. Yates turned around twice to check on Scott, a cool move on Yates part.

I cant say the same for Kurt-ass Roberts who made a kicking motion at a rider in the same practice

7. mad brad

mad brad Guest

if you guys saw his actions, and the photo i have you'd think different. i'll gladly tell him to his face. oh, didn't he elbow a rider in fontana for holding him up? jimmy moore if i'm not mistaken.:rolleyes:

8. Renaissance man

Re: Re: Aaron Yates

Well, I like you (but not in the gay homo way YOU want :D)

Well, I am sure when he goes to bed at night, the only thing he is concerned about is that he get's a good night sleep before he has to piss in the morning, but on the other hand, if you are too much a prick, you get exhiled to do M1 development work. (Hey that is still not bad either... :rolleyes:.) I am fairly sure he doesn't go out of his way to be a dickhead, but he probably doesn't lose much sleep either way.

One last thing...On your "Signature", does "Contracted Endurance Rider" have anything to do with remembering to pump the brakes? :D DOOOOOHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a good one *** :D

9. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

Re: Re: Re: Aaron Yates

Put the whacking stick down and step away from the horse McBain! :p

I don't think anyone (including myself) has forgotten to pump up the brakes after that incident. Actually, I double, triple and quadruple check them now. :cool:

10. Litespeed

Litespeed Rocket Scientist

Why don't you post the pic instead of just talking about it Brad? And if the factory guys don't like the fact they have to deal with lappers, maybe they should move on to the MotoGP or WSB. Wait, then they would probably be the lappers. It's one of the parts of racing and everyone has to deal with it. As far as the blue flags, they would work fine but I'm assuming by mid race all the flags would be out all the time.

11. mad brad

mad brad Guest

why don't you hug a root!! schleprock.:p

12. Renaissance man

Re: Re: Re: Re: Aaron Yates

As a formal apology, please accept this photo as a sign of respect concerning the "brake" comment.

[​IMG]

13. Renaissance man

Since the subject "Dead Horse" came up, I came upon the corporate Dead Horse rules that are often transferrable to this board.

>>>Dakota tribal wisdom says that when you discover you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount. However, in business we often try other strategies with dead horses, including the following:

Buying a stronger whip.
    Changing riders.
    Saying things like "This is the way we always have ridden this horse."
    Appointing a committee to study the horse.
    Arranging to visit other sites to see how they ride dead horses.
    Increasing the standards to ride dead horses.
    Appointing a tiger team to revive the dead horse.
    Creating a training session to increase our riding ability.
    Comparing the state of dead horses in today's environment.
    Change the requirements declaring that "This horse is not dead."
    Hire contractors to ride the dead horse.
    Harnessing several dead horses together for increased speed.
    Declaring that "No horse is too dead to beat."
    Providing additional funding to increase the horse's performance.
    Do a CA Study to see if contractors can ride it cheaper.
    Purchase a product to make dead horses run faster.
    Declare the horse is "better, faster and cheaper" dead.
    Form a quality circle to find uses for dead horses.
    Revisit the performance requirements for horses.
    Say this horse was procured with cost as an independent variable.
    Promote the dead horse to a supervisory position.

14. Scott

Scott Well-Known Member

15. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

If the "factory" racers don't like the backmarkers then why don't more of them participate in races like the Isle of Man TT?

Didn't Yates knock a guy down in Atlanta when he and Gobert split the lapper?

I kind of enjoy watching the leaders go through the lapped traffic, makes the race more exciting and gives some camera time to guys who wouldn't normally get any.

16. LMcCurdy

LMcCurdy Antique

I'll take a shot. I promise to smile too.:D

17. mad brad

mad brad Guest