1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Predator 3500 Issue

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Thunderace, Jun 21, 2022.

1. Thunderace

Thunderace Well-Known Member

I've got a Predator 3500 generator that I bought on 6/4/2020. I did buy the 1-year warranty and never had to use it. Give it 14 days over the 1 year anniversary and the damn thing shuts off.

I recently replaced the oil and it is perfectly at level. I tried disconnecting the low oil sensor, but no change. I removed both of the spark arrestors. I replaced the spark plug, even though the other one was generating spark. I emptied the carb and confirmed it is getting fuel. I even went as far as to disconnect and reconnect all electrical connectors inside. It just will not turn over at all. I sprayed starting fluid into the carb, it will not turn over. Sprayed it into the cylinder through the spark plug hole, won't fire. I have run a jump box to the battery in case it needed more power, but it just cranks endlessly. And I have tried pull starting, but no difference.

It has run fine for almost the entire time I have had it. It just seems strange that even the starting fluid is not getting any kind of response. Has anyone had anything similar to this happen to their Predator?

My next step will be to try and find a shop that will work on these. Anyone know of a shop anywhere near Baltimore? Appreciate any help.

2. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Spark, fuel, is it getting compression? Has the flywheel sheered it's key and it's now sparking way off time?

beac83 likes this.
  3. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

What's the possibility of a chaffed wire grounding out somewhere in the shutoff circuit?

Had that happen on a generator, took me a bit to find it because it was baffling that I'd just run it a few days prior without issue.

4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Have you called them to see how flexible they are in the warranty date? Years ago when they still have away 20% couplings and free gifts, I had a manager that offered some flexibility on an electric grinder I bought.

5. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

electric start or pull cord? CO model or before that?

there is a FB group for these and the people are really good about helping

6. Thunderace

I am mechanically proficient, but I leave engine internals to experienced people. I'll check all the wires again for any signs of wear. I'll be in touch with the store today, but not hopeful. It has pull and electric start, both just crank. Unfortunately, not a FB fan or user.

Every so often I get a large poof out the exhaust. When hitting the starter, it sounds as if the spark plug is not inserted.

7. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

Jim after all that cranking (don’t use starter juice) pull the spark plug out and look is it wet with gas. If that’s the case crank engine for 20-30 seconds to clear the cylinder from all the gas, than heat the tip of your spark plug with little propane torch or grill lighter for 20-30 seconds… to burn off all raw gas and to heat up plug. Put it in and try to start it. If plug is not wet with gas than you don’t have fuel coming to the cylinder.I assume you checked for spark and confirm that you have good spark!?
    Basically you need fuel, air and spark to have it running, you are missing one!

8. Thunderace

Will do Bo. When I pulled the old plug, it was not wet or fouled. I'm going to pick up another spark plug anyway and try your trick tonight.

9. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

Tik Tok has had a few videos of the Carb Bowls literally being destroyed by the crappy ethanol gas we purchase.

I'd venture to say you have a stuck / gummy float that needs cleaned up. Make sure your fuel line to the carb isn't blocked. Easy visual checks.

10. Thunderace

The only thing I didn't do is open up the carb. I took it off the studs, but need to remove it completely and take it apart. That's the plan for tonight.

FastByKids likes this.
  11. Thunderace

UPDATE:

I just got finished taking the carb apart and everything is clean and moves freely. Absolutely clean as one would expect. Picked up another spark plug today just in case. Put everything back together and still nothing. It just cranks and cranks with only an occasional "poof" out of the exhaust.

I have pretty much exhausted my skill set trying to fix it myself. I hate that I have to resort to sending it to someone, because the idea of spending any money to get it fixed pisses me off. I only paid $700 for it in the first place!

12. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Seriously call, or preferably visit, the manager at Harbor Freight and ask them what they can do? As I recall, on one item, they wanted me to buy another extended warranty and they converted it.

I think I bought a new item and another warranty and they just credited the purchase by giving them the old one back, so it only cost me another warranty for a new item. This was not on a generator but I think was on a big electric start gasoline’s engine that gets bolted onto our air compressor. 12Hp I believe.

I can guy a new harbor freight engine, starter, etc for less than a head and piston for the previous engines.

TurboBlew and Youpaiyou like this.
  13. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

We had same problem with the one at deer camp.

Replace the voltage regulator, you can find them on amazon....we did that but it still smelled like it was running really rich....so we apstarted looking around.

We also had a wire that came off by the carb we had never noticed. Fixed that and she purrs like a kitten now.

Don't give up, they're great little generators. Will be at 3k hrs by fall on the one I mentioned above.

We also had no spark, which renders starting fluid useless

14. Thunderace

Thank you Tony for the insight. I just spent $14 on a regulator. If that works, I'll owe you a cold one!

15. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

A common problem on these is the charcoal filter getting fuel in it and plugging up. If you fill it past the little red plastic piece in the strainer, it flows into the filter and chokes off the tank vent. The one on my 24' trailer currently has the filter unhooked from doing this.

FastByKids likes this.
  16. Thunderace

I have an older model that does not have a fuel guage or that little strainer. Not sure if I have the charcoal filter you are referring to.

17. FastByKids

Dang it, sorry you are going through this.

Possible you can take off the plug wire and put in your old / spare plug and put it against metal. Try starting it and confirm spark.

18. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

This.

Haven`t seen anyone suggest checking for spark before tearing carb apart.

19. Thunderace

I was getting spark. I had it hanging outside against the valve cover and could see a very small discharge. If I got spark, then the starting fluid should have ignited. I'm getting nothing in the form of combustion.

cav115 likes this.
  20. FastByKids

Many small engines short to ground as the "kill" device. Wonder if you have a chaffed wire somewhere. With such low hours I doubt you have low compression.