1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Predator 3500 Issue

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Thunderace, Jun 21, 2022.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Man it has been around 11 years since we ran 125 I think that is about the same? Actually I think the rear on a 125 was only about 120?

So I will have to go look, but I have some old 125 warmers that need repair and have some bitchin Cap-it warmers that require a power converter. They are European and I bought two sets from Benny Solis's dad that you have to power with a transformer plugged into your generator. Unfortunately the transformer was stolen, but transformers are readily available.

Let me look later, when do you need them?

2. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

First race is August 12/14 at PRIC. That is the round NATC runs with WERA.

Really appreciated!

That six pack might get upgraded to a full case again!

3. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Valve lash is very important. We had one generator at work that was way out of spec that wouldn't start for nothing. Adjusted it and starts 2nd pull always now.

4. Thunderace

Thunderace Well-Known Member

For future reference, the issue with the Predator not starting has been discovered. I ended up selling the generator to a mechanic fried of mine that figured it was worth $150 to see if he could fix it. If not, he would have spares for the one he already had. What he found was that one half of the exhaust valve spring retainer came out. The exhaust valve was not seating properly and it never got compression. It is a miracle that the valve never fell into the cylinder and grenaded the motor. He had to replace the valve, spring and retainers to get it back to 100%. I think he paid $75 or so for those items.

I wanted a bigger generator anyway, so it was OK with me and a good deal for him. I am now running the Westinghouse iGen 4500 and couldn't be happier.

5. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good score for your buddy. I'm sure it'll come back around. Thanks for sharing the resolution!

6. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

Did you have issues with the choke on the Westinghouse ?
    It seems to be an issue for several years and was wondering if you had it or did they fix the issue ?

Looking to get one, since I like the remote start. Very pratical in the morning when you want to start up all your goodies, including warmers.

Thnx
    Alex

7. Thunderace

I have not had one single issue with it. I've used it for two separate weekends and it has run three days straight each time. Couldn't be happier with the power, sound level and ease of moving it. The retractable handle is awesome.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  8. Thunderace

I also love the lighted fuel level indicator on the front. No need to get close to it to see how much fuel is left.

9. Dave675

Dave675 Well-Known Member

This was the issue with mine.It would run for about five hours and then shut down; couldn't get it restarted until it sat for a couple hours and then it would happen again. Turns out the exhaust valve was a couple thousandth out of spec on the loose side. Got it back to within spec and it runs smoother than it ever has.

damiankelly likes this.
  10. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

Awesoime thnx.

Ordered one last week. Can't wait to use it and not have to fill it up 2/3 of my race day.

11. Thunderace

Youpaiyou, E Reed and stickboy274 like this.
  12. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

13. Thunderace

Looks like it. $899 for me today as well. I was half tempted to buy a second yesterday at that price.

Boman Forklift and Youpaiyou like this.