1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Powerstroke 6.7 F250 Owners: MPG?

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Feb 17, 2021.

1. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

The gearing makes a difference, too obviously.

I've had three F350 dually's and my 2011 with a 3.73 rear would get 20mph bone stock, not towing.
    This truck met an unfortunate end when a glow plug in #8 dropped into the cylinder in 2017 with under 40K on the clock.
    Which apparently was a known issue with that first generation 6.7's which has since been corrected.

My 2001 with the 7.3 saw 15-17 mpg with a 4.10 rear.

My 2017 with 6.7 and 4.10s will get 17-18 not towing.

Not going to get into a debate on which is better. You buy the most/best truck you can afford within your budget that will do the job you need it to do.
    I just love diesels.

2. LossPrev

LossPrev Well-Known Member

I thought the powerstrokes with the 10spd were getting great mileage? I have the standard output Cummins in a 2019 Ram and can easily get over 20mpg at 70-75. Often times I'm averaging 21 or more at 70mph. It sips fuel even in moderate headwinds and inclines.

3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Interesting, I remember back when we were racing, a friend had a 06ish Cummins Dodge that was getting 22-24. Always wanted to get one of those based on how good that engine was and that fuel economy. I didn't realize the new Ram was getting close to those numbers again? I know my 00 and 08 Fords didn't get very good fuel economy, nor does my 02 Duramax. But I tend to put my foot in in when towing down the freeway.

It's been awhile but I think all mine were between 9-12 towing a 30ft toybox in California. Out here, other than AAA speedway, any track we go to has at least one mountain range to pull through, so fuel economy suffers compared to a lot of the other parts of the country.

4. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

My friend had had several of these midly tuned and stock. They all delivered 16-18 at best in thousand miles trips at normal highway speeds 75 average.
    ONLY EMPTY, ALL TOWING DROPOED DIWN TO 10-13 MPG DEPENING UPON LOAD TRSILER ETC...
    I have a mildly tuned 7.3 extended cab E350 cargo van, and the absolute best I've ever gotten was 17mph at 55 -65 mph.
    A lot of people I have spoken to give very high mileage figures and they have faced it off their electronic data being given to them from the dash in my experience it is completely inaccurate I actually do it is write it down fill it up drive it until you know it's almost dead.
    Another friend has a relatively new Chevy Duramax he has a 38-inch tires on it that's 16 which is pretty good giant rubber.
    Do some research on the 6.7 I have friends who have lost thousands on 6.0 6.4 s I'm not a hundred percent sure on the 6/7 but I know my friends has been in the shop quite a bit...just sayin

Kyle Brosius likes this.
  5. LossPrev

LossPrev Well-Known Member

It doesn't get fantastic mileage towing, I usually get 11-12 towing my 8500lbs bumper pull toy hauler. It's a pretty big windsail behind the truck at 34' long plus the hitch length. Mostly flat around here but get into some hills in Kentucky going to NCM.

My last trip empty was going to Indy, about 6hrs one way. Drove just under 80mph the whole way and computer was showing 22.5mpg. I didn't hand calculate it out but based on the fill up I did and how much I had left over it was pretty accurate.

I think the standard output definitely does quite a bit better than the high output Cummins. The standard output is running 19:1 compression so when there is very little boost at cruising speeds it just sips. Sorry, back to powerstrokes now! They're pretty fast and fun! Very easy to light the tires up

Boman Forklift likes this.
  6. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

Wow. 65K$ for a truck with 40K miles on it is still hard for me to wrap my head around.

tl1098 and TurboBlew like this.
  7. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

My 07 Duramax gets that milage, I am usually cruising at 80mph.

TurboBlew likes this.
  8. Boman Forklift

Hey Zoran,
    What did it get stock, because I assume you modded it?

9. TWF2

I bought it with tuner in it, 5 maps, I keep it in +90hp except when towing.
    Other than tuner it is all stock.

10. Boman Forklift

Mine have all been stock, what does a towing tune do, knock down the egt, but still get better fuel economy?

11. TWF2

I have 2 towing maps. Changes shifting I think but mostly for engine braking. Don't have to use brakes on downhills.

12. Boman Forklift

Ah that is one thing my 02 duramax was way better than my 00 7.3 Ford. Tow mode changed shift points but could still hit over drive on flat roads and really worked better on hill decent speed.

13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

so even though diesels cost more to operate youre supposing thats made up on resale?? hilarious... youve never operated a fleet of them. Just for giggles I did rough #s on a 2006 6.0 crew cab.
    $35,000 purchase price with tax
    $59,000+ in fuel costs
    $11,000 in services like oil, tires, brakes, oil pump, etc.
    Sold it in 2017 for $5500 with 365,000 on it
    We had a 2nd one with less miles that got traded in for a 2018 gasser.
    So like @tony 340 says... if you aint working them dont bother. But dont think for one second they are cheaper to operate.
    The only exception would be areas with sufficient grades to climb and copious towing.

turner38 and Boman Forklift like this.
  14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

The problem with your resale was circled in blue on the grille...

TurboBlew likes this.
  15. Boman Forklift

Yea, we all know purple dodges, customized by trees have much better resale.:D

With 365k and some Minnesota rust, I’m sure the people people eater won’t be worth much either.

TurboBlew likes this.
  16. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Ain’t no MN rust on this truck!

(It came from SoDak :D)

17. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

my dad has a 2016 cummins... has some CELs on the dash so he pulls the codes. Schedules an appointment with a dealer. Brings it in and in 1 hour on the lift they come back with a $12,000 estimate... truck has 96,000 on it and drives around empty 90% of the time. After asking if he was serious sent him over to my buddy thats a heavy truck wrench. The fix was way less than dealer estimate... like 5 figs less

18. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Well, I took a look at the truck and drove it. I’m going to have to pass. It’s a crew cab long bed. I can’t see myself daily driving a truck that long. It’s huge!!!
    Thanks, as always, for the info guys. Have a good day.

19. Boman Forklift

I currently own two 4 door long bed diesels here at work, a Duramax and a F350 dually. I wouldn't want to daily either of them. I daily a Toyota Tacoma or a Honda Civic. Much prefer a small vehicle to get around. I think I would love a small sports car to daily, but I put on 25-35K miles a year and don't want to kill a nice car commuting to work and doing errands during the day.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  20. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Yep..same here. Got an F350 Dually....daily driver is a 2013 Fusion Hybrid with now 187K on the clock, or the new Highlander Hybrid I bought in December to ride around more comfortably with my family.

The Fusion got a name.....J-Lo...aka Jalopy. It has no value, and if it gets a scratch, I just don't care.

:cool:Also, just like J-Lo, the Fusion's been rear-ended a couple times, so I felt like it fits. :D

Boman Forklift and sharkattack like this.