1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Powerstroke 6.7 F250 Owners: MPG?

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Feb 17, 2021.

1. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Hey guys,
    I might have the chance to buy a friend’s F250 6.7 Powerstroke for a decent price. It’s way more truck than I need but the deal might be too good to pass. I’m not expecting 30 mpg, but I have ?s about the real world mpg.
    I’m not towing or hauling loads, just a daily driver. I drive like a slow mofo (in my vehicles; bike is a diff story, lol), so I’m easy on the throttle. What can I expect for real world mpg for 50/50 city/hwy fuel economy? I’m in MO, so I have to pass emissions so I don’t think I can delete or tune the diesel and still pass emissions testing.
    Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

Where in MO are they doing emission testing?

I’m in the Springfield area and we’re not seeing that here, yet, at least that I’m aware of.

3. AC1108

AC1108 Well-Known Member

I think St Louis County has emission testing

4. kevincg

kevincg Well-Known Member

I have 3 of these, from 2015-2019.
    Don't expect more than 16-18. That's empty, mixed driving.

Drops to 14—15 for any towing.

5. sharkattack

I assumed they did. I have to get emissions testing for my cars. I guess HD trucks are exempt? Apologies for the incorrect info.

6. sharkattack

I’m in St. L County. I assumed all vehicles had to get emissions testing. Maybe those over a certain GVWR don’t need it? I might need to do some more homework.

7. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Like Kev said, expect mid to possible high teens with restrictions. Deleted and tuned, low to mid 20’s

8. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i drive 100 miles round trip multiple times a week to ride woods on dirt bikes and mountain bikes.. mostly interstate/highway (75-80mph) but 1/5 of trip is in town to get to interstate . Totally stock 2020 F250 6.7L, says im getting 19.5-20 mpg on "eco mode" (can choose on the column, stock feature.. towing, slippery, snow, eco). When towing a 24' trailer, it's saying 12-ish..

9. kevincg

My 15 has the Spartan tune/delete. I still only get upper teens. I can cruise @ 70 and maybe get 20 mpg.
    Crew cab, long bed platinum. It's pretty heavy but these trucks get crap mileage.

I'm switching to gas 150 for all new work trucks in the future.

10. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Im shopping for this truck right now. Interested also. Budget is $65K max. Not sure whether to buy a 2021 XLT new, or 2017+ Lariat with 30-40K miles. Same price. I really want the lariat package but new ones are just out of my budget. Man Cali doesnt mess around on emissions here. every two years, even brand new diesel. If you buy a new car you go at least 5 years before your first smog.

11. Triple X

Triple X Well-Known Member

I wouldn't get one as a daily driver if you're not towing.
    Regen will kill your mileage.
    If you don't work these things then problems arise more frequently.

tony 340 likes this.
  12. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i got 5 MPG LESS daily driving, not towing, with my F150 ecoboost truck than my 6.7L diesel . LOL :) big cost difference in buying obviously..

13. kevincg

The little EB is the sweet spot for my needs in a light truck.
    I only mentioned the switch to a gasser because the overall maintenance and fuel expenses are far less than a current diesel. Especially if you don't need the added capabilities of a SD diesel.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  14. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

It's a truck... You don't buy them for fuel mileage.

15. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

My '13 F350 diesel dually gets 19 empty and about 11 when pulling my big ass 5th wheel. I wouldn't recommend the diesel or the 250/350 if you never needed it....Of course who knows what the future holds? :D

16. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Also in cali they rape you on insurance and registration for 3/4 ton trucks. You pay commercial registration for the truck. Its stupid expensive. Insurance also. Not sure what state you are buying in but may want to look at that also.

17. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

spot on. i have a 2019, 40k miles on the clock and i avg about 17 in mixed driving with mostly empty bed. long trips i can get slightly over 18mpg using cruise set below 75 mpg.

18. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Warmed my Cummins up this morning for 15 minutes, drove all the way to my shop (12 miles) and it still wasn't even registering on my temp gauge or blowing hot air when I got there.

Get a gas truck if you aren't working it.

Diesel costs 14% more per gallon, the oil changes cost triple, the truck costs 10k more, and you better hope and pray your weather doesn't jerk you around in the cold.

Triple X likes this.
  19. BC

BC Well-Known Member

All that is made up for on resale. Not to mention, if your gonna keep it forever it will last forever. My fords have remote start too.

20. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

My buddy has 500k on his F150 from 1997....and that thing idles all day for the last 20yrs.

Any newer truck will last a long time if you put money and maintenance into it.

The resale argument is only good if you sell your truck with less than 175k on it. After that....resale tanks regardless of the fuel source.