1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

please set me straight on 2G SV motors

Discussion in 'Tech' started by dakh, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

This is from Rick...and he's got no engine building stuff to sell me either. He said just stay off the rev limiter and shift a good 500 rpm's before you hit the rev limiter.

I know I'll wind my SV up really close sometimes when I'm chasing someone down the front straight....but that's the name of racing. If my crank lets loose it lets loose, then I get the motor rebuilt and I continue.

Racing ain't cheap...you'll find out.

2. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

HAHA...a single 450 is a fancy piece of machine with nowhere to race it in Washington/Oregon.

A 600...you can do the same "fancy" thing with it. Once you start not able to catch the guy in front of you you will start looking at how much money you can make donating blood in the off season to pay for those mods.

3. .RJ

.RJ Well-Known Member

Not yet at least - http://www.450moto.com/

4. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

All it would take is the big 4 to put contigency behind 450 class to get good grids. I for one love the concept since it fixes everything I've been bitching about. Spec, close to stock bike (even spec fairing!), spec fuel, and I'm sure they're a hoot to race. Too bad you can't spec rider weight ;)

5. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Oh please...if Suzuki can't/won't put a better front end on the SV fromthe factory what makes you think they will put out a purpose build 450 single AND offer money to race it?

6. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

7. .RJ

.RJ Well-Known Member

You will still have to build it yourself out of a MX bike, there's no way the factories will offer ready-to-race packages. Contingency is a whole 'nother can of worms.

8. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

they could. but then the bike would be more expensive, and wouldnt fit what the bike's purpose is for the street. its not a 650 twin repli-racer.

9. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I know this. But I find even my '06 SV650S street bike's front suspension to be dangerous on the street at legal speeds. One bump or edge in the road when turning and the damn thing understeers and I have to fight to keep it from going off the road.

10. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

i saw someone race one with a stock front end earlier this year and he was only 1 sec off the pace that we ran at one of the wera nationals.

11. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

and when i say stock, i mean, 100%.

12. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

If the bike is a combination of stock parts, I can take time to put it together myself thank you very much. The "spec" and "stock" together sound like music to my ear. They're planning to run spec tire too, yay!

13. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

As in the forks were never opened from he factory?

Did the guy weight 100lbs?

14. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

A spec class sounds boring. It means that the person who can be adapt to the "spec" will do the best. Not everyone works best with the same thing.

With a spec class you end up simply fighting over rules and that's the only way you can gain an advantage.

15. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

With this kinda mindset, I don't think you're going to progress much. How about gaining an advantage with your SKILL? And yes, being able to adapt your riding to equipment is part of it.

16. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

:rolleyes:

I'm 32 and a club racer. How much SKILLL do you think I'm going to gain when I started riding motorcycles 5 years ago?

WMRRA (since that's all you are going to race in) had a spec class several years ago. It failed...it died a horrible death. Why? One reason was because it was a spec class.

17. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Also have this thought.

The fastest guys in a spec class sure are going to have tons of skills. They are going to fight the rules to help maintain the edge that they have based on the gear that they currently have.

What if one of the rules added to the spec class is that you have to run .75 lb/in springs in the fork yet you are 195lbs riding a 350lb bike? Even if you have the most SKILL in the class your equipment is NOT going to be up to snuff for you. So if someone proposes having spec springs are you going to be for it?

18. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

longest you race you keep gaining :)
    I am 46 and still going.

19. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

never opened. probably 150 lbs. he's just a good rider. i wouldnt have believed it if i hadnt seen it.

20. dakh

dakh Well-Known Member

You're not going to be racing a current MotoGP champ, you're going to be racing ME, a 32 year old with one year of experience with bikes. And I don't see any point in you or me trying to outspend each other to gain an edge. What's the point in both of us dropping two grand on hopping up the goddamn (on-topic content!) SV motor to not get yarded on the straight? Is it going to get any more fun to race with 10% more power?

And yea, you better re-think your 32-year-old skill gaining abilities, because I sure as hell am going to get some mad skillz, and soon :D

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007