1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please educate me on toyhaulers

Discussion in 'General' started by hunzi, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

I'll echo what others said about the Work n Play tongue weights. They made them for stupid people, and now I make it a point to put all the heaviest shit I have as far in the rear as humanly possible. Any heavy ass shit you put in the back is instantly mitigated by the little things you add over/in front of the axles.

2. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

What is a work n play?

3. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Essentially a converted cargo trailer fitted with RV-amenities to make it into a toy-hauler. Manufactured by Forest River.

They are more robust than most of your budget stick-and-tin toy haulers, but they are quite heavy comparatively, especially on tongue-weights.

By design, toy-haulers have to have the axles farther back to compensate for the usually considerable weight being put in the back half of the trailer (bikes, side-by-sides/atvs, cars etc.) compared to your typical camper shell, usually 15% of the total trailer weight as a minimum. With an 8,000 lb. trailer, that's 1,200 lbs. on the tongue.

4. Phl218

Phl218 .

but they are good at yard work and don't consume too much food or beer

RossK6 likes this.
  5. hunzi

hunzi Active Member

So most of these cheaper toyhaulers that I can actually afford seem to have tie downs in a couple random places throughout the garage area. Anyone have experience with installing e track to the floor? I imagine there’s possibly tanks underneath the floor? I’m looking at a used Jayco 273 that has a fully insulated floor so there’s no way to see what’s under there unless there’s some way to get drawings of these things that show where you can drill

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Get a knife, cut the insulation. Tape it back up with duck tape after you're done putting in the TRS.

7. Phl218

Phl218 .

Mine has both e-tracks ( 1” screws) and pit bull plate (long bolt into beam)

The stick built ones have a subfloor and framing above the steel frame. Thanks hang underneath

8. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I installed e-track in cargo trailer, across on the floor. I used 3/4 screws in every other hole. Tied 3 bikes to it without issues. One e-track in front of them and one behind.

Attached Files:

Phl218 likes this.
  9. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I've done basically the same to 2 nice toyhaulers. I used a 5/8 drywall screw in every hole. Nothing ever moved.

This leads to a separate discussion. I HATE the 3 season builds that have insulation and a cover over the bottom. I made sure my second toyhauler didn't have that.

10. hunzi

hunzi Active Member

Awesome. I’ve never used e track and always assumed part of it had to be bolted to the metal structure. Do you use ever hole when going into wood or is every other or every third enough? Pit bull plates also just into wood?

11. hunzi

hunzi Active Member

Why’s that?

12. SteveThompson

I just did every hole. If it's worth doing it's worth over-doing.

On my first trailer (the one with the bottom covered) I attached my Pit Bull plate with toggle bolts. On my second one I bolted it to a steel beam.

13. SteveThompson

You will eventually need in there. I had to cut mine to get to the tank once. I had to cut it again when one of the rods fell out of the dump valve. I learned that I value having things be easy to work on more than almost anything else.

14. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Don't do E- Track on the floor.... Do Pitbull..

15. Phl218

Phl218 .

i used all 5 holes at the ends and every 3rd or so in between on the e-track.

for the pit bull plate, see what you can find with a stud finder and put a 1/4 or bigger wood screw in a joist (two by ...) . if you can't catch one, best practice is to drill through subfloor, go underneath, cut tarp, move insulation aside, add 2x4s where holes are. then drill again and use supplied bolts (or longer) from pitbull system. put insulation back in place and tape up tarp.

i have seen an R6 tipped over on its PB TRS because the TH sales people just bolted it down with wood screws in subfloor. i helped to fix it properly at the track.

16. Phl218

Phl218 .

while i agree for the bike, i love my e-track for the toolbox and the genny

SteveThompson likes this.
  17. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I just hate shaving my feet on that stuff....

18. TSC_113

TSC_113 Look At me!!!

19. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Or do best of both worlds with L-track........this way you can reposition the bike without having to re-drill and/or mount the Pit-Bull plate in multiple spots.

[​IMG]

20. Phl218

Phl218 .

they have end caps :D

and someones gotta do it LOL