1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please educate me on toyhaulers

Discussion in 'General' started by hunzi, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:stupid:

E-track has enough holes that even with short screws to the plywood only you'll be fine. Tied down all sorts of bike and even a jeep without it being bolted through steel parts and never a single issue.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why are you in the trailer barefoot? :D

If you sleep in the trailer I'd suggest area rugs. Seriously. Keeps crap out of the e-track too.

3. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I have to stir Broomes Drinks with my Toes!
    I don't have E-Track... But I have racked a few toes on Pitbull latches left in Plates...

4. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

I know the weight discussion has been beaten to death but be aware of payload of the truck, especially with a half ton. An 8k lb trailer will require apprx 800lb of tongue weight. Tundras generally are in the 1300lb payload range. So 4 people (700lbs?) and 800lbs of tongue weight and you're already overloaded. Never mind anything else you actually bring. I'm not the payload police by any means, but you'll almost definitely want load range C or higher tires and air bags added to the truck for this.

NemesisR6 likes this.
  5. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Will this work (and play)?

gallery_47107_969_4328.jpg

ineedanap, TurboBlew and t11ravis like this.
  6. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Amazing torque to wheelie like that. :D

7. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Would it be worth it to put an Add a leaf in the rear of the Tundra to give it extra support?

8. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Adding airbags, Add a Leaf, Timbrens, or other type of support devices doesn't change the payload capacity of the truck. ....and you still have to take into consideration the GVWR, RAWR, tire capacity rating, etc. 99 times out of 100, the payload capacity is the first thing to get overloaded, then either the GVWR or the RAWR....none of which should ever be loaded past their ratings. The best answer is to get a trailer that will not push or overload your truck beyond it rated capacities. A tow behind trailer will normally has 12-13% of the weight of the trailer as tongue weight....and of course a few will be less, and some more. If you have a trailer that you can load heavier items either futher forward or more to the rear, you can also use that as a "tool" for getting tongue weight somewhat manageable for your truck

9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

If anything, an auto ride-height, airbag system would be the way. I have one on my 1/2T Silverado, where I just flip a power switch and it does the rest.

It’s not good putting so much weight behind a 1/2T truck and making it work really hard for “X” miles, everytime they go somewhere, whether the truck is pulling or braking. Also, the heavy tongue weights require a heavier class hitch. Simply bolting on a Class IV or V hitch doesn’t do anything for frame rails that aren’t designed for that kind of hitch weight.

10. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

For my trailer when hooked up to my 2015 F150 (2,000 lb payload capacity) I use a 1,000 lb. WD hitch and have some additional support for the rear axle using Sumo Springs (like Timbrens, which are essentially large bump stops). I weighed the axles at a truck stop using this setup and it works wonderfully at keeping the weight distributed between the front/rear axles.

Rides like a dream and pulls straight as an arrow with no sway or nervousness even when getting passed by big rigs. Two fingers on the wheel is all I need.

11. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

A proper sized weight distribution hitch is ideal over airbags/spring helpers/etc. from what I've been told. If you have both, the recommendations I've read say to run the bags at minimum PSI as they are fighting each other and you get a lot more weight on the rear axle using the bags than a weight distribution hitch alone. If you look around YouTube, you can find a video where they compared axle weights using the various systems. Payload capacity, springs and airbags. Towing tongue weight capacity, proper sized weight distribution hitch.

The Tundras springs are pretty soft BTW, so there is some squatting, but I haven't had any steering complaints with it towing at Max capacity.

The Tundra hitch is very beefy (assuming you have the tow package) and the frame is decent. The weak link for failure (my guess given the research I've done) will be the axle given it's overloaded greatly. It's not like a 2500/3500 axle. Not stupid weak, but not up to HD specs either.

12. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Let's state this for clarity...........bags/springs/etc. do NOTHING for weight distribution. They only help to supplement the existing rear suspension components.

Having 1,00o lbs. on the hitch is GOING to reduce the amount of weight on the front axle of most any truck, but that will be amplified on a 1/2 ton especially if it is a shorter wheelbase. A WD hitch is absolutely necessary if you are going to be towing heavy and often at highway speeds.

ineedanap likes this.
  13. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

I would only buy a trailer that can be towed by 1/2 ton truck. I rented a trailer last season for Vegas and it had a WD hitch. The rear end sags alot (soft spring) that is why I suggested the add a leaf to help with the sag. I dont think the guy I rented it from set up the WD hitch right as the truck wanted to dance and front end felt light. Even with an empty trailer. 40mph head wind the whole way home sucked even worse though! 45mph unless I used a semi draft.

14. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

These threads always seem to veer off into tow vehicle discussions.

OP: A lot of good info in here. I might be in the minority, but I have had awesome luck with my 2013 Forest River Stealth SK2112 (purchased new in 2012). I keep it covered, and if something breaks, I fix it immediately. I'm not the most competent handyman, but everything on the toyhauler has been an easy fix (replacing water pump, replacing a start capacitor on the A/C, etc.). I use it about once a month for multiple days at a time; they don't like sitting around without usage. The OEM tires lasted 5 years with proper maintenance, and I finally replaced them just to be safe. I treat it very well, and it's been good to me in return. Don't force anything on them; you'll break it. Go offroad at your own risk. Good luck!

Oh, and just to entertain the tow vehicle discussion. I towed it with a Chevy 1500 for many years without an issue. Mountains were stressful (up and down), but everything was within legal limits, and the truck did it. However, I bought a new diesel just to make things a little less stressful, and to meet hot chicks. I accomplished the former, and nothing really changed with the latter.

Laz and socalrider like this.
  15. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

How many dudes have you met then? :D

Phl218 and NemesisR6 like this.
  16. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

try RVshare for an inexpensive way to assess your weekend needs and try out different types (5th wheel,Class A or C, etc). Yeah it will be more than a hotel for the weekend but the convenience is kind of worth it.
    Last weekend I was amazed there were 6 Damon Outlaws in the Owners lot at Daytona. For a race rig...its about perfect
    to sleep 5-7 folks comfortable.

17. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

I've heard 'nice truck' from way more* dudes than chicks.

*100% of them have been dudes

18. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Those things are awesome. The attic is one of its best features, IMHO.

TurboBlew likes this.
  19. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

yes the floor plan plus the drop down beds in the garage really all some "personal" space so you can RV-pool with friends/racers.

20. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

They are Thor Outlaws now.....they still build a few a week.

https://www.thormotorcoach.com/outlaw-class-a/floor-plans/

TurboBlew likes this.