1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PittRace getting a facelift

Discussion in 'General' started by dsmitty37, Oct 6, 2016.

1. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

Just saw on the face tubes that PittRace North course was being torn up to lay new pavement down

2. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

I really hope the new surface is going to be like the old surface. The new pavement on the " south" course was coming apart after 1 weekend last year. The old track while bumpy still had amazing traction in the wet and dry. The new part was aweful in the wet with all the sealer in the turns. Track layout is great, so hopefully the new surface is done right and we can enjoy it for another 10 years!!

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I wonder why it's so hard to lay quality track pavement. Hallett was like that too. They milled it and replaced it, and it was coming apart within a few months. There were heaves, bumps, and ripples, and it had to have a bunch of sealer put down.

4. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

Cars
    F@CKING CARS

stk0308 likes this.
  5. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

And tracks not waiting long enough to let it cure. The video of pittrace I saw they aren't just resurfacing though, they're starting from scratch almost!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  6. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

FYI - the new course asphalt didn't come out ideal - something about a core ingredient missing/not working as intended. The intent is for that to be fixed this time around, similar to how the north course was originally paved (which if any indication, was certainly done properly).

7. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

It's been really cool to see this much work and money go into this place. I haven't been doing this for very long compared to most, but over the past three years since I had my first trackday at Pitt, there's been improvements made almost every time.

I thought I heard some rumors that they might be repaving South sometime to fix it? I don't really think that's realistic so I must have heard wrong.

8. jeremy dunn

jeremy dunn Well-Known Member

dsmitty37 likes this.
  9. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

10. ped

ped Banned

Midohio better step the hell up....

11. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

DucatiBomber likes this.
  12. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

I think Mid Ohio is in trouble, I love the place but the entire place is feeling really outdated, it will cost a fortune to fix it backup. From the track to the facilities its' gotten pretty bad over the last 10 years.

dsmitty37, 5axis and DucatiBomber like this.
  13. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Eddie is correct the repave was happening with or without MotoAmerica.
    With that being said it wasn't a real secret that MotoAmerica was looking at PittRace (with the new configuration) for awhile.
    The folks who own/run PittRace really like having motorcycles there.
    Glad it all worked out. Some real interesting stuff happened behind the scenes to get this to work (all good stuff). Lots of people coordinating stuff to move the sport forward. Hopefully some more exciting news coming in the next few weeks.

Ride safe,
    AAron

14. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

I could not agree more. Track is top 3 of my favorite layouts but with the surface and facilities it is barely in my top 10 favorite tracks.

Ride safe,
    AAron

dsmitty37 likes this.
  15. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I think it will take pressure from IndyCar and NASCAR to force them move forward with improvements - the rain this year will hopefully help that cause (Google video from NASCAR earlier there, this season). I've heard rumors that plans are in discussion, but we all know how that can go.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  16. KWyman133

KWyman133 Well-Known Member

Rode there on my Superbike in August to check it out. Super fun and will be even more fun when the North is repaved.

One thing is for sure as well - it will be the most physical track on the schedule (barely, over Sonoma).

dsmitty37, Bburns912 and DucatiBomber like this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, before the MA people even saw the track.