1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pirelli rain tires

Discussion in 'General' started by gixxerjoe, Mar 24, 2018.

1. gixxerjoe

gixxerjoe Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Anyone know the difference between these 2 rear rain tires?

Thanks.

2. Only one of them is “Rain”, the other is “Wet” (commonly referred to as “Intermediate”).

The Rain is for when the track has standing water, and it is actively raining.

The Wet (Intermediate) is for when it isn’t currently raining, but the track is wet and Slicks won’t work.

Odilup likes this.
  3. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

Wha?o_O

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Which one is which? And why?

5. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

All the way right is the full rain tire. I’d imagine it’s softer because you can’t get as much heat into it for one. Sippons (can’t spell) are probably deeper to allow more water inside them. I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone with intermediates at a club level but maybe and I don’t notice. In my experience if it’s wet but not raining, intermediate tire conditions, a wet will work for a sprint but you might cook it.

6. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

sbk1198 likes this.
  7. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

8. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

9. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

NO....back to your cave!:Poke:

10. I figured it was obvious the far left tire was a front, and the other 2 were rears.

11. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Well if you look at his picture you can see two red arrows drawn into the picture pointing at those two tires...I’m shocked that you could actually look at that picture long enough to comment with the 2 different patterns on the rears :crackup:

Gorilla George likes this.
  12. I didn’t even see the arrows until you pointed them out just now. I scrolled way too fast to see that shit. :crackup:

fastedyamaha likes this.
  13. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Did you see the Indians?

pickled egg and fastedyamaha like this.
  14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I thought an intermediate was the DOT tire like they use in WSS.

15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Never mind
    71FAD8AB-35F8-408A-ABD4-ABD6D67204C7.png

16. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

We used the MT60RS as DOT approved rain tires in the 90s. They were bad ass! :clap:

The Wet tires are NOT DOT approved and we use them in all race series around the world. Basically the front is a slick with a bit softer compound and grooves to evacuate water. The rear is Bi-compound and sides are a like a rain compound but not exactly the same, and it's rare to have the perfect weather and track conditions to use them. They are perfect if the track is damp with no standing water and that it stays that way for the whole race. If it gets more wet than use rains, if it's a drying track use dry tires.

Attached Files:

17. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Chris how many times have you Pirelli rains over the years?

18. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Can you explain why Pirelli went with a totally different pattern for the 160 rear rain? I've always wondered why those are different from the bigger rears. Now I've noticed that the 140 rains also have the same pattern as the big tires, so I think the 160 is the only one that's different, right? What's the reason for that?

19. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I don't know why it's different but I know the pattern on the 160 makes a great flat track tire!:clap:

20. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Ahh a great question, so around the world the race 160/60-17 sales are tiny. What drives the sales of the size is the North America market and it's SV650 and Ninja 650 racers. So our 160 rain has the latest rain compounds and it's tread pattern comes from the days when all 600 MW bikes used a 160 rear. Because the volumes are so small (and not growing in the big picture of things) we decided not to spend the tens of thousands of dollars to make a 160 rain in the newer tread pattern.

Yep you won't find a lot of SV racers outside of the US or Canada. For the dry Pirelli offers a DOT and slick rear in two race compounds but I don't think all of our competitors do the same. And the reason why is the world wide volumes are small and demand is not there.

Time to clean the carb on the screaming 1972 Honda project on the bench and fire it up!
    Jeff