1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pirelli Bounty Program

Discussion in 'General' started by PirelliTireGuy, Feb 27, 2015.

1. PirelliTireGuy

PirelliTireGuy Well-Known Member

LOL Dont be mad at me, but I have said from the start, if Podium Motorsports Pirelli has 60% of the grid like they do out west with LARGE grids, I could come up with a contingency program..... and I hope to be there one day

2. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

Holly shit... I just spit out my coffee. You owe me a macbook pro. :crackup:

3. swiest152

swiest152 Zoran's headache

The grids out west aren't that large but almost everyone runs Pirelli.

4. See post #97.

5. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

7th gear.. we have achieved it here. :)

On a serious side, what do you guys do with the additional grip with shoc spring rates. Up or down ?

6. We went up.

7. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

From what to what? I got a 1.0 on my TTX now. Curious to see what Thermosman will recommend. About 190-195 (without gear).

8. Shit I dunno.

9. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Bike and pace are also relevant to the answer you're looking for.

10. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

:crackup:

Me either, that's why I pay others to know and I'm in a corner with that too :(

11. :crackup:

I mean, I have notes and Brian has his big binder. But im at work and don't have mine with me.

It is pretty damn stiff though. As in, I don't think Ohlins makes one stiffer. Brian said I have the stiffest one Ohlins makes on there now.

12. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Dood. Take a hint.

:D :D

13. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

:crackup:

Eddie is killing it today.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not sure you should be mad at anyone.

15. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

to me the deal with this promotion would be if I were a top level racer (ok, maybe not like Josh Hayes level but getting there- or was an up and coming racer) with the skills, I'd run around the US and poach the lap records and make a bit of coin while showing up all the locals. win-win. pirelli looks good by showing they have tires that can run in front at any local level races, the "poster child" looks good and wins a few bucks back on tires. gives the up and coming racer some incentive to go to a track they maybe didn't consider in the past. didn't they set a few records last year? plus it's "racing" and not a track day or test session (i.e. EBR at Jennings). It would be nice to see some out of region fast guys test their mettle at a local level again the local hot shoes.

But yes, I agree that the days of the top 5 local guys getting lots of free tires is probably a ways away from happening again.

16. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I honestly don't see this having any effect other than Pirelli being able to talk about it.

And it's working - they just got a 6 page (with my settings) thread devoted to talking about their tires, from people who buy them more often than 90% of the general riding public.

...but I think it's a fantasy to believe that anyone is going to travel around trying to collect all 10 'bounties' as a source of income. As others have mentioned, you have to front the money to purchase the tires you're riding on, so you're spending $400 and burning how much in travel and race gas to get $500?

I think the much more likely scenario is that someone racing on Pirelli's realizes in an early race that they're only half a second off the lap record, and then pushes in the afternoon to shave that half-second and maybe take home $500 they weren't counting on. That only helps one racer, but it's a nice press release for Pirelli to plaster on Facebook for a few weeks.

Pirelli is in the business of making money, not supporting racers. When the latter drives the former, sure, they're willing to toss around some cash, but they've already gotten their $5k worth of PR in this thread alone.

17. [​IMG]

18. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

:crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

19. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not really a step in any direction, the guys selling tires at the 200 will be doing contingency to get more people to run a long ass race on their tires. Smart marketing move but a moot point for anything other than that event and their sales that event.