1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PFC brake pads, Performance Friction Corp., Do you use them?

Discussion in 'General' started by Cam Morehead, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

Looking for feedback on PFC brake pads. Looks like 13 is the latest compound. I used them years ago, along with Ferodo. Not interested in longevity. I want huge initial bite and constant power without any fading. Bike is a R6. Will be using RBF600 brake fluid. Any good feedback welcome.

2. flyboy

flyboy Well-Known Member

Then just use some EBC's crazy bite and I never felt any fade. I'm actually going to try their "trackday" pads since I felt the initial bite was too much for me

3. jt21

jt21 JFugginT

I use them, great pass, a ton of initial bite with a progressive rise throughout the sequence. They'll last ya a good bit too.. The 13 is the predecessor of the 07 which were phenomenal.

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I've been using the 07 compound, which I believe is replaced now by the 13. I've been very pleased with it. No fading to speak off. To me it feels more progressive overall, not a huge initial bite. That's more something I feel with Vesrah SRJL17s

5. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i have been using that EPFA pad since it was introduced in 2007.. the GPFA came out a few years later, and i'm with you. Too much initial bite for my liking. The EPFA is now marketed as the "fast street/trackday" pad, but don't be fooled. That is a very good, long lasting pad.
    If you really want HARD initial bite ? the gpfa or gpfax is for you...

6. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

I loved PF pads. I liked the 95's/105's? I didn't need big initial bite, and didn't want progressive feeling pads. I wanted linear, harder I squeezed, more I got...

7. mtmansl

mtmansl Well-Known Member

Yes,

Been using them since they first came out when I was racing cars and switched from Ferodo DS11s. Now I use them on my bikes... They are the best pad on the market bar none, in my humble opinion (not sure on the validity of this but was told that they actually manufacture the pads for Vesrah, which are also excellent)... BTW, I have used just about every PFC motorcycle racing compound, and I keep coming back to the 95s...

8. ped

ped Banned

I've only ever used Ferodo XRAC, how do these compare?

9. Livengood turned me on to the PF pads last year and I love them.

10. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

EBC GPFAX pads would be my recommendation for Huge initial bite and very constant feel. I haven't tried the 13 PF pads, didn't know there was such a thing, but I didn't like the PF 07s. Went through 3 sets of them, wanting to like them, but they wore so fast that I ended up with bad fade from not enough material. And that was my Novice year at a not-so-impressive pace, although I probably braked like hell, haha. If I could change them out every other weekend (just sprint racing mind you), I suppose they would have done the job, but that negated any savings by going with them vs. a pad from EBC or Vesrah. Switched to the EBC GPFA and now GPFAX pads and have never been happier with brake pads.

Oh, should mention, the 07 pads did do alright on the street. Without putting them through the heat-cycles of racing, they seemed to be able to last an acceptable amount of time. I would never consider running them on an endurance bike, not sure if they would last 4 hours.

11. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Get back on your boat.

Ride safe,
    AAron

12. I started using the 13's at the GNF. Really like them.

13. rraiderr

rraiderr Ron Jermey Jr

Guess I will try the 13's.

Been running Vesrah forever, SRJL XX and now SRJL SS. Love them both, best I have every used but crazy expensive.

14. Cam Morehead

Ok Greg, I have some EPFA252HH pads coming. I should have mentioned the R6 is a 2003. I am seeing a limited selection of pads. I will hope for good results.

15. MELK-MAN

sweet :) but with all seriousness .. as I have convinced a few other guys into making the switch (to these pads that have been around since 2007), there is gonna be less initial bite than you may be used to. But no b.s., the more ya pull the lever, the more they bite. I'm a "2finger" brake kinda guy, and i can lift the rear wheel of the r6 off the ground. Homestead is by far the hardest braking track I race, and they work just fine there.

May take a couple laps to sort it out, and i do tend to run the clutch lever perch a little bit further from the grip so i have more leverage.. but i really really like the feel of these vs. a hard bite.

pads are the same for the r6 from 03-current (as you know). only thing about the 03-04, your rotors are 10mm smaller diam than 05-current .. so i would move the clutch perch further from the grip as i was describing above.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  16. Cam Morehead

I assume you mean master cylinder perch, not clutch. I am comfortable carrying the rear wheel, and actually prefer to. I keep my MC perch slid as fast away as possible because I only brake with my middle finger. Thanks and wish me luck.

17. MELK-MAN

yes.. sorry.. multi-tasking fail. move the MC perch inward for more leverage.

18. Cam Morehead

I figured that is what you meant. I have no delusions of setting the track on fire but I like my brakes a lot. I hope to test them out in the next few months.

19. I love the PF pads. Personally, i dont like pads with an assload of initial bite. And it isnt so much the initial bite that bothers me as much as it is the way they feel when trailing off. It seems like the pads i have tried with a ton of initial bite were hard to modulate between 10%-1%. Like when im approaching apex, i dont like it when pads "let go" towards the end.

And i also dont like alot of initial bite because there are times when im already knee-down and want to use the brakes to adjust my line. I dont want pads that are "grabby".

With the PF pads, what you pull is what you get. The braking force is very linear and easy to modulate. From initial application all the way to apex, they are very smooth and predictable. If you want to apply 1% brakes, you can do so. But when you want to stop NOW, they can do that too.

20. Cam Morehead

I will probably buy some PFC pads too. I have my own bead blaster so changing compounds is pretty simple. That was my biggest issue with most of the pads years ago was no additional reserve.... If I got in hot and needed to stand it up and go for that extra, or if someone changed their line and I had to make a big adjustment, I want to be able to get even more out of the brakes. Some pads seem like if you give the MC 60% or 90%, the bike still slows down at the same rate.... In theory, I want to be able to dictate my own fate of the front wheel.