1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pet transportation?

Discussion in 'General' started by rabbit73, Oct 25, 2010.

1. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

Oh great and wise beeb - has anyone used a pet transport company? I need to ship my dogs cross country and I'm not thrilled about having them on a plane. Unheated cargo holds and air travel might not go well with my two aged 13 and 11. Any suggestions? Google turns up hundreds of companies, just wondering if anyone has first hand experience.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Rent a car and drive with them...

3. PATBAROK

PATBAROK I <3 Poontang

+1 i wouldnt trust my doggies with no one...

4. zbunny

zbunny Well-Known Member

There is a new airline- petairways that has customized interiors for pets and they fly in the cabin. I, personally, would not trust my pet to a stranger.

Michelle

5. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

Looks like air travel won't be an option since they only transport when temps are between 45-70F. This is literally a 3000mi cross country move. Google maps says 40hrs, so I'd pretty much have to take a whole week off work which isn't really in the cards either.

6. f4capt

f4capt Zoinks!

What are your beginning and ending destinations? I work for an airline and I'll help out if I can. Feel free to PM me.

7. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

i'll do it for $500 plus expenses.

I'll treat your dogs like their my dog. they can have the beds at the hotel, and I'll sleep on the floor :D

but really, air travel is probably a lot safer... dogs really aren't secure in cars. a 6-7 hour flight ordeal might be better than risking them in a car for 40 hours, unrestrained, and not getting any exercise.

8. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

Scranton to Reno - AVP to RNO. Is there room in a Phantom for 2 border collies? Or is that a Corsair you're flying? :D

I could probably fly them out now, but the window of opportunity is closing. I found what looked to be a reasonable and reputable ground transport company, but now their website is down.

9. f4capt

f4capt Zoinks!

I am with United but the problem with Scranton is that it's an express carrier on a 50 seat regional jet and not an actual mainline United jet out of there. I don't trust our express carriers with my own luggage let alone pets. They would have to go AVP-ORD-DEN-RNO. I wouldn't recommend that for kennels. I thought if you were near me here at IAD I could personally be sure they were checked in and put them on the plane myself and call the down line station. Sorry I couldn't help. I would still look to air travel for them unless you drive them yourself. The least amount of time under stress the better. If you have any questions I can help you with let me know.

10. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

F4: I really appreciate the effort, thanks. Still looking into air transport but we'll have to do it quickly before the temps drop any further. My relo company is trying to help too, but somewhat surprisingly they don't have a lot of answers.

11. zbunny

zbunny Well-Known Member

There is a company that specializes - petairways.com only flies animals in the cabin, no humans allowed., though neither Reno or Scranton are listed, you would have to drive them to another airport.

If all else fails, perhaps an air charter company could help you out. Of course you could fly with them, too on a charter flight.

Please don't let your pets fly as cargo with a commercial airliner.

I'm taking our dog back to school to become a canine companion assistance dog so he can fly in the cabin.

Good Luck!

12. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

Thanks Z - I already checked the all pet airline but the closest points of service are NY and LA which would be a combined 20hrs drive time to drop off/pick up.

I'd love to book a charter flight or a stretch limo for them, but I have my financial limits. I originally intended to ship them ground transport I just have to find a reputable company in the next 30 days!

13. Havoc

Havoc Well-Known Member

+1000 And with your dogs being over 10,I would keep them relaxed & comfortable as possible..And not have them stressed out.

14. :stupid:

15. f4capt

f4capt Zoinks!

Rabbit, check your pm

16. Femmekat

Femmekat Diesel Powah...

I have transported a lot of rescue dogs through rideshare on craigslist... find someone who is driving cross country and chip in some gas $ for them to take your pups. There are also a lot of truckers who will transport pets. Wish I'd known, I just drove from MA to CA with my pups...

17. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Thats if you drive 8 hours a day. Nobody driving across country only drives 8 hours a day. Your talking 2 1/2 days at a 75 mph average. You could leave Friday night, and roll in on Monday morning. Easy peasy! :D

Seriously, you should drive.

18. Havoc

Havoc Well-Known Member

+1000 :up: Thats the way to go!

Shit i drive to mid-ohio and vir and thats more than 8 hrs..So...i see a weekend trip.