1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Permission to flip people off

Discussion in 'General' started by TheGrouchyCat, Jul 25, 2016.

1. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

I didn't think you lived in Florida. That's SOP here.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They don't give the right of way to the person turning right either - the person going straight at a green light has the right of way compared to all cross traffic but that's the only way I've seen it spelled out. I have seen places where it's spelled out when turning you must at least at first turn into the near lane. Pretty sure Ohio cops like pulling people over for that one but I haven't lived there since 91.

I guess my real point in all of this right of way talk is simple - do not assume you legally have the right of way. The right of way laws are minimal and absolutely do not cover all situations.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Talking just GA and more specifically the metro ATL. Out in the country where flashing lights are normal it's no big deal. It's when the fucking soccer moms see something they don't encounter every day picking their snowflake up from school they just go catatonic and come to a stop.

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Whether the oncoming traffic is going straight or turning right is nobody's business. Unless you have a protected green (the green left turn arrow) you must yield. If you think about the signals given it makes sense: you have a flashing light or at least a sign attached to the light that says "yield to oncoming traffic" - the other guy just has a green light, with no caution sign of any type. There is no sign on any traffic signal anywhere (excluding countries that drive on the wrong side of the road) that says "yield to left turning traffic".

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

This is from the Georgia Drivers Manual, and makes it more clear than what brex posted: "
    • When making a left turn at an intersection, or into an alley or driveway, yield the right-of-way to all traffic coming from the opposite direction;"

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Huh? That makes no sense at all. Of course it matters if they're going straight or turning.

There is no need for a sign saying yield to left turning traffic. Also all right turning drivers have to yield to all sorts of things too - especially pedestrians.

None of what you're saying addresses anything about which lane a right turning vehicle must or should turn into...

BTW - you're also putting more into the left flashing yellow arrow and the signs. The reason they are there is until this new style of arrow went in, a green or yellow arrow for a left turn lane actually did mean you had the right of way as they were red when you didn't. Someone finally got smart and realized it's stupid to have people sit there when no oncoming traffic was happening so they made the yellow arrow flash and put up a sign as a reminder the yellow no loner means it's your lane and the other light is red like it used to be. I like the new setup a lot better, smarter all in all. You can still have your turn lanes get a turn light but keep things moving when there is room for more to go through.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Opposite of what? Opposite of your current direction or the direction you plan to be going once you turn? Of post turn then if turning right you have to yield to all the traffic in the other lane who would not be near you....

But if you're talking about traffic coming directly at you - nowhere in that does it cover the vehicles turning. Once they slow/stop to turn they are no longer coming right at us and you cannot legally hunt them....

I love reading laws, they're so damned dumb :D

8. 600 dbl are

If I find time I will look, but going straight or making a right on green = right of way. The vehicle turning left is turning into oncoming traffic, hence no right of way (unless on green arrow).

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'd like to see it because as I read things last time I looked once you were turning you weren't part of what was listed as having the right of way. The GA law is listed about and does not cover right turning vehicles any more than left turning ones. Just those continuing through the intersection.

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I think they're written to be purposely vague so lawyers and politicians guarantee themselves jobs fighting over them for years to come.

That said, you're wrong:Poke: But there's no point in arguing about it. I'm not in Georgia, and the ticket you get if you're ever in an accident will prove it :D

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Just because the cop doesn't know the law either doesn't mean anything :D

I also won't be in an accident ever because of someone turning right when I'm turning left into separate lanes.

FWIW - GA evidently believes my version is more righter because that is the way every intersection where they've bother to paint lines is set up. :D

12. :crackup:

13. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I agree that the laws are written very poorly. Written by lawyers for lawyers to understand. I was just pointing out that it is law...although seemingly vague in places.

And add me to that group that will go if someone hesitates. :)

14. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Years ago it was is a ticket, not arrest and I assume it still is. I got a ticket going to an appointment to visit a customer, the cops were running a sting by a Starbucks. They had a lady walking back and forth across the street, and if you didn't stop when she stepped off the curb they would nail you. My boss said he saw them pull over at least 5 people.

15. 600 dbl are

If you have a two lane road, one lane north bound, one lane south bound, and the cross street going east and west is the same way, does the person making the right hand traveling north bound have the right of way over the vehicle traveling south bound making a left?

I have no clue if that makes sense, I hope you can translate stupid.

16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Do you know how normal, honest people wind up getting beat up by the police? By arguing traffic law on the side of the road instead of taking their ticket? ;)

17. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Grouchy. Please draw a picture of said intersection, take a photo of it and you report card from prominent university. We need to solve this.

18. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Yes

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Turning from single lanes to single I'd say yes the right turning vehicle has more right of way since they're already turning by the time the left turn one can determine if they were going straight or not (ignoring turn signals since most people seem to when they drive :D).

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Who ever suggested that? You argue that shit in court.

Although - I did argue me in the RV in the left lane with GSP once. We agreed to disagree and I got a warning not a ticket :D