1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Periodization for muscle gain and fat loss (another workout thread)

Discussion in 'General' started by Gino230, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

What I concluded from all the research I did as well empirical evidence:

Not eating enough will sabotage your muscle gains. (not just protein, you also need carbs to build muscle and you need healthy fats to keep your testosterone up which revs up the metabolism and burns body fat.

It's possible to lose fat and gain muscle. One of the things that really helped me are the few activities out there that act as a combo of cardio and weightlifting (cause muscular dystrophy). My all time favorite is the punching bag. If you push yourself to 3 minutes on the heavy bag (or work up to it) and treat it like it is an opponent, look at your pulse afterwards and you will be amazed. All those punches if thrown with the right force (and technique) will demolish your muscle fibers (especially if you are not used to this exercise or don't box in general) the muscles once rebuilt will be stronger, leaner and will gain mass - up to a point. 5 rounds on the heavy bag and you will feel more satisfied than an hour of cardio and an hour of weightlifting. If done right, you will also feel the pump.

cajun636 likes this.
  2. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

LOL, I know that is the only time I eat like shit is at the track because I need sugar. I really don't as of now with riding the bicycle. I burn so many cals doing that so there is no need to when it comes to burning fat. I have been low low in bodyfat down to under 5% and didn't like my lack of strength and drawn in face. Worst part is if I am doing it for looks alone, I have to get that low to be able to have abs well defined. I don't do it for looks I do it to stay in shape for riding a motorcycle and survival of the fittest.

I do get a minimum of 150 grams of protein a day, and as of today I am starting to drop down in bodyfat just cause. Day started off with caffeine and gummy bears, then short run and gym.
    Left gym at 8:15 drank 35 grams of protein at 830, and a cup of coffee with about 5 grams of sugar
    10:00 will be two Kodiak Cake/ Protein waffles. That will be 30/30 grams of protein/ complex carbs
    11:30 5 eggs
    1:30 Tuna and crackers
    3:00 Soft tacos consisting of 8oz of Ground Sirloin with whole wheat tortillas
    5:00 tonight will be Roast and brown rice.

I basically eat the same crap every day.

I workout doing
    Chest/Tris
    Back/Bis
    Legs/Shoulders
    Chest/Tris
    Back/Bis.

I workout 5 days a week and ride about 100-15- miles a week on the bicycle.

Prospect likes this.
  3. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that's about 2,000-2500 cal per day? Depending on your portion sizes. But that's a large volume of work, too. Guess I just need to man up and work out more

4. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I highly recommend the book (& accompanying series) titled “The New Rules of Lifting.” It’s cowritten by respected trainer Alwyn Cosgrove.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  5. Pussy.

:D

cajun636 likes this.
  6. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

You can do both separately - but you absolutely have to eat.

I workout/"lift" 4 times a week and pedal 2x a week, if not more. I'm in the best shape I've ever been in - not just "mass" but overall just feeling good and strong. But if I don't eat right, the cardio will have me drop weight and lose those gains. It's always a struggle to keep weight on for me. I went from "low carb" diets to higher fat, retaining muscle and it's been noticeable. I do want carbs at certain times.

My buddy is a body-builder/"high level" trainer and has significantly changed the plan I've done for years. It's a bit more regimented, but well worth it.

Gino230 likes this.
  7. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Kodiak Cakes are the best. Try adding some Ghiradelli dark chocolate chips to them. ;)

cajun636 likes this.
  8. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I just get the Chocolate ones with them already in it and add protein powder.

9. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Um yeah, me too. They need more ..

:D

10. rocalotopus

rocalotopus thick member

sleep is pretty chronically underrated. you getting enough of that good stuff?