1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Perfect racebike transport

Discussion in 'General' started by Number400, Jun 5, 2001.

1. Number400

Number400 Well-Known Member

2. PACMAN

PACMAN Well-Known Member

I know the diesel engines are unbelievable with fuel and power, but this one is only producing 156hp. I don't think that would be enough juice, which would cause lower gas mileage due to the strain. Of course if your getting 30 mpg you won't notice any reduction in fuel economy. My Montero produces between 150-170 hp, and it struggles on hills with a v6 pulling an 6x10 enclosed with gear. I'm still looking for the Cummings Turbo Diesel 8cyl Ram, but I'm starting to think they are make believe. I can't find a used one anywhere.

3. Number400

Number400 Well-Known Member

156HP, but with 244 ft. lbs. of torque, it should carry everything inside with no trouble. I have a passenger car 6 cylinder diesel with 150hp and 200ft. lbs. of torque and it hauls butt for a diesel. Maybe I could put a hitch on it.

I would like to get one as an alternative to a mini-van...gotta carry all of the baby stuff!

4. wrenn

wrenn Well-Known Member

The 8cyl is make believe. [​IMG] FYI, the cummings motor in the Ram is a 5.9 liter inline 6cyl.

Fords powerstroke and GM's new (Izuzu built) duramax deisels are v-8's

5. PACMAN

PACMAN Well-Known Member

Are you sure about that. I went to the local dealer the other day and they tried to sell me the Gas 5.2 or 5.9 V8. I told them I wanted the diesel and they asked the 6cyl or 8cyl. He made think they have both. I know the powerstroke and new duramax's are both 8's, but it sounded like the 2001 1500 & 2500's give you a choice!

6. timspeed

timspeed Well-Known Member

Inline 4 Caravan got my 125 around for less$ than i spent on bike gas last season. But you can't fit a diesel bike in it. I had to get a full size Chevy van to fit my 600cc hippo in.

7. Laurie Acree

Laurie Acree Well-Known Member

BTW Wrenn-we went to look at the Envoy and Trailblazer. Pretty impressed! Thanks for the suggestions.

8. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

This should clear things up: www.4adodge.com
    2 versions are:
    5.9L I-6 24 valve turbo with 235hp & 460lb torque

5.9L I-6 High Output Turbo with 245hp & 505lb torque

[This message has been edited by Tracee Polcin (edited 06-05-2001).]

9. PACMAN

PACMAN Well-Known Member

Well if I said I never met a car salesmen that didn't know what he was talking about I'd be full of sh*&. Thanks for the info. So my only decision is between the standard or High Output model. It doesn't seem to be that huge of a difference where it would matter for the load I'm towing. I would assume the standard I-6 gets better gas mileage than the High Output?

10. Duke Boy

Duke Boy Guest

I have a VW Jetta 4 cyl. that does pretty well with a light trailer although the CV joints are getting stressed. No Joke. I carry My SV and my teamate's Aprilia RS 250. It seems to be a good strong motor for 115hp. It seems pretty stable as well. It doesn't lose much momentum on the hills either. Good little car but looking for an older truck so I don't trash my car.

[This message has been edited by Duke Boy (edited 06-05-2001).]

11. For carrying one bike I think it's hard to beat a van. I just got a Chevy one-ton that holds and carries everything with ease. If you're pulling a trailer, go with the Jetta
    [​IMG]

12. wrenn

wrenn Well-Known Member

you're welcome, say hello to emma and (just spoke to lee) hope everything goes well with the surgery. let Melissa and I know if you guys need anything we can help with.

PACMAN- yes i'm pretty confident in the 6-cyl only deisel in the RAM. as tracee points out they have two versions.

your dealer may have tried to steer you to the 8-liter..(v10 gas) vs the 6-liter(5.9 I-6 cummings).

fwiw; I did not know they had a 6-speed manual for them now...(thanks tracee) but I do know that GM has an Allison built 5-speed automatic for the duramax. (time will tell about durability)

13. hank9615

hank9615 Well-Known Member

the perfect transport ??

I always like to fly to the race, rent a car, hangout in the camper, talk to the crew over at the tractor\trailer, race, win , and fly back home.

14. Gsxrjoe750

Gsxrjoe750 Well-Known Member

I have a 99'Dodge dually diesel. I also have a 2001 GMC dually duramax diesel. I tow 32' trailers full load being 14-16,000LBS. The diesel in the dodge is a cummings H/O. I thought the world of this truck. I then recieved my first of 3 duramax trucks and it will tow the dodge,the load,and the trailer. The duramax is quiet. It is powerful. The trans rocks. I have been through 3 transmissions in the dodge. I have logged around 15,000 miles on the GMC with out a rattle. It is so comfortable that you forget your towing anything. Just my opinoins(sp). I do have a 99'and 00' Dodge diesel for sale. In Aug I recieve my other GMC's. For anyone looking I would put my money in the GMC. Only down fall is I paid around $10,000 more for the GMC.
    Joe

[This message has been edited by Gsxrjoe750 (edited 06-05-2001).]

15. PACMAN

PACMAN Well-Known Member

I'd love to have one of those diesels...there's only one problem....I don't have any.....hmmmmm???? You take a check?

16. hank9615

hank9615 Well-Known Member

all kidding aside

I drove a H.D. ford van w\ the powerstroke diesel - it rocked !!! just wish it were mine

17. Gsxrjoe750

Let me quess-you'll pay the whole thing off. [​IMG]
    Joe

18. PACMAN

PACMAN Well-Known Member

Well Hell yeah. I thought you needed money!

19. Comet117

Comet117 Well-Known Member

What, you think you're John Kocinski??...oh wait, you didn't mention the in-flight lobster dinner, Hooters personal massage team & a Tweeden sister for Umbrella girl!

20. Gsxrjoe750

No-I'm easy! Sure you don't want both??
    Joe