1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Patio propane fire place and/or heat lamp

Discussion in 'General' started by Rich, Dec 11, 2022.

1. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

My wife has always wanted a pergola, so this summer we extended the patio and I built her one with a friend.

She has expressed interest in a propane fireplace. It would replace the current coffee table. She did say if she ever got one, it would be a fire pit/coffee table combo.

I found one at Academy that checked all the boxes, so I ordered it.

[​IMG]
    Mosaic 42 in x 24 in Kingsland Gas Fire Pit | Academy
    If you've ever imagined sipping a hot beverage by the fire on a crisp, autumn morning, then the Mosaic 42 in x 24 in Kingsland Gas Fire Pit is for you. Utili...
    [​IMG] www.academy.com

However I started thinking about my kids who are five and two. They wouldn't be out on the patio that much when we are enjoying the fall/winter heat, but this probably isn't the safest thing for them. A propane heater would make more sense, but it wouldn't provide the coffee table.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Style-Sele...V0hXUAR27FA8nEAQYASABEgJuRvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
    So I wondered - could I get a propane patio heater that also has a coffee table in it? Does such a thing exist? Would it be safe for the kids, plus give room for beverages?

The answer is - sorta. The table isn't as big, and it is over my $200 - $250 target price. However it might be the better choice?

[​IMG]
    Wayfair.com - Online Home Store for Furniture, Decor, Outdoors & More | Wayfair
    Shop Wayfair for A Zillion Things Home across all styles and budgets. 5,000 brands of furniture, lighting, cookware, and more. Free Shipping on most items.
    [​IMG] www.wayfair.com

Alternatively, I could get both. The patio heater could be "stored" next to the couch where the natural gas line for the grill is. But that space is only 18 inches...it would create a little bit of a hazard coming out of the door.

I've overthought this to unbelievable levels.

I welcome your thoughts if you have experience.

Attached Files:

2. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

B95C1F6F-8EA3-4E08-96C7-D0E38BF3758F.jpeg More pix

3. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Just build a taller table

I made a stone and crushed glass pit at my last house, it's not complicated

You just need to add another 0 at the end of your budget

4. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

We’ve got both. Actually, a fire table and 3 heaters. Because Alaska. The heaters don’t do too much, there’s some radiant heat in the “down” direction, especially if you’re close, but most of the heat goes up and away. Putting a couple nearby is best. The table works a lot better on our chilly 40-ish or low 50s summer mornings. But you are right to be concerned about the safety of your little ones—there’s a ton of high heat right at munchkin level, really scary to think what could happen. The chest high table surface and stools layout of the Wayfair heater may be the best solution for you.

5. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

I don't understand why folks put stuffed furniture outside in the rain. Sorry, no help with the fireplace other than little ones with 3rd degree burns would not be acceptable.

6. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Hmmm, very good feedback. We do want heat on the 40ish - 50ish days, a fair amount of them here in Oklahoma through the winter which is better than the snow I'm used to in the Midwest.

What you say about the Wayfair one makes me thing it won't work. We wouldn't have the stools, it would go where the coffee table is to provide heat and a place for a beer. Given that our furniture is only 13 inches (plus three for the cushion) off the ground it sounds like the Wayfair one won't provide any heat. Sounds like the solution is not to have it on with kids in the area until they are older.

7. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I don't really understand having heaters outside in the open. Why not just burn a pile of dollar bills ? Seems to make about as much sense.

969 likes this.
  8. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

Yup,good thing he's not in NYS the greenies would hang him.:crackup:We won't have to worry about it once they phase out natural gas and propane by 2030.