1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Painting Track Skins - $$ or DIY?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by SBK, Sep 16, 2003.

1. SBK

SBK Misanthropic Anthropoid

Anybody recommend a painter in Michigan, or even northern Indiana or Ohio? I've talked to a couple local body shops about getting bodywork/tank painted, and it was pretty brutal. What's the going price for a straight single color w/number plates where you guys are?

I'm really thinkin' - "Rattle-can here i come..." Any suggestions or guidance?

2. stickman

stickman crash free since 5/6/07

Unless you have sponsors that need impressing, rattle can all the way. Also, I highly recommend using Plastikote Ultra Enamel. This paint makes the do-it-yourselfer look like a pro, well sort of. I buy it at a local Advance Auto Parts for $4 a can. I've tried Krylon and that just looked like shit.

I just couldn't see paying a ton of money to have the bike painted by a pro and then crash it the following week.

Do a search here, someone recently told how they painted with a spray can, I pretty much followed that and it came out great. Pretty much just sand the bodywork, clean it with soap and water, then let it dry. Then give it a nice light coat. Let that dry for about 10 minutes, then another light coat, let dry for 10 minutes, etc until you are satisfied with the coverage. Usually no more than 3 coats. And that's it.

Then when you wreck, pat yourself on the back for saving $300.

3. SBK

SBK Misanthropic Anthropoid

Thanks Stick, I found the older thread with the "instructions" and printed it out. Looks like a plan...

4. wera176

wera176 Well-Known Member

yeah, what Stick said. If that is the auto touch up paint (And I believe it is) that he was referring to, then that's the stuff to use. Krylon is cheap and easy, but a little bit of gas will ruin it!

5. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "member"

yeah rattle can can turn out OK, I did a decent job earlier this year

you could call up OuterXtremes (talk to Jawanza tell him you race WERA) they do great paint work at good prices....

6. cattitori

cattitori Code SuperBike Galactic *

Search

Hey guys, so where is the thread for painting?
    Todd
    251CCS

7. stickman

stickman crash free since 5/6/07