1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paint sprayer suggestions

Discussion in 'General' started by R1Racer99, Aug 20, 2018.

1. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

I have a week to try to make my new house look better before I move in. My first project is going to be painting the old cabinets and from what I've read a paint sprayer is the way to go. I need the compressor also so I'm looking for a combo that will do the job well but isn't too expensive. I'm also wondering if I can use the same sprayer to do the ceilings or if I need an attachment or something. So what should I buy?

2. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

I purchased a Graco Magnum sprayer when I finished off my basement. Then my f-I-l used it to do his whole house. Then I sold it to a friend for basically what I paid. Did exactly what I needed, and lost almost no cash. Couldn’t have asked for more.

3. tropicoz

tropicoz Well-Known Member

Get an airless sprayer if you plan on doing any big jobs with latex paint. I use a Spraytech Apex sprayer and it's pretty awesome. There's obviously some setup and clean up involved with using them, but the time you save in actually getting the color on whatever you're painting is immeasurable.

4. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Two completely different application, need an airless sprayer for ceilings unless you want to be cleaning overspray off of everything. Cabinets almost need an airbrush to make them look right

5. joec

joec brace yourself

Not accurate. An piston pumper "airless" is capable of doing a beautiful job on cabinetry. It was done that way for years. I've done radiator covers and wainscoting with mine a few times.

Allspray piston pumper. You can get them used for about 100 150 bucks. Look for one set up for oil too if you're doing cabinets. Or buy a turbine hvlp.

You don't want to try to do walks and ceilings using conventional with a compressor. You won't be able to move enough air.

Or wagner power painter. I think DeWalt even has one that's li-on. But I know zero about them.

6. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Are you painting the cabinets white? I don't think I'd try spraying them. I'd use a trim/cabinet paint and roll it on. It is much thicker and will help hide the grain. A high fill primer coloration would be even better.
    Airless if you insist on spraying, but you have to back roll it anyways, so just roller it to start.

7. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I’m looking to paint a shed and a few rooms in the house and some basement walls. Whats the best / inexpensive recommended equipment for thieve projects?

8. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I don't use my airless indoors. By the time you tape and mask, set the rig up and break it down, and clean the inevitable overspray, you really don't save any time. Plus, you do not get a "full" appearance with a spray job. Buy quality paint, brushes, and rollers and do it the old fashioned way. Now outside, the airless is unbeatable. You can get the body color applied in about 22 seconds.

9. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Nigel pretty-much nails it. I just about only use Sherwin-Williams products. Their primers/paints are excellent quality, likewise their contractor series brushes are nice once broken in, etc.

Quality work is as much about the little tricks and details a quality painter brings to the table. Not being in a hurry or cheap are two simple tips. Wrapping your new rollers in masking tape and peeling it back off to remove loose lint is another.

If you’re painting concrete or block basement walls, UGL DryLoc is the way.

10. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Ha, I remember this thread, I think I had about 20k more in the bank then. New cabinets, new counters, new floor, took out a wall, scraped and skim coated the ceiling, canned lights etc. etc. Once I start something I can't stop. Should have just kept renting and blowing my money on bikes.

ducnut likes this.
  11. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

A lot of validity to that comment.

12. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

How badly do you want your house and shed stolen?

13. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Just today I bought an airless at lowes. Gonna be used for interior rooms, exterior house, decks, trims, etc. $299 At lowes.

14. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

So indoors- rollers and brushes

outdoors- airless sprayer

That about sum it up?

15. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Nope. Totally dependent on the task.

16. Phl218

Phl218 .

I have a nozzle that won’t fit my HFT system.

You can have it.

I sprayed the whole house with mine (interior walls and ceilings) . Worth the $. Should have used it for my front door. Did the air spray instead, not 100% happy

Metalhead likes this.
  17. speedluvn

Ex
    can you explain

18. speedluvn

Not too bad

19. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

“K51000” made a very general statement, asking if that were a general summary, and it’s not. The type of equipment used is totally dependent on the job. Single color, multi-room interior job? Airless and backrolling is awesome. Just a single room? Roller. Multi-room, multi-color? Roller. Exterior, single-color, and no wind? Airless and backrolling. Exterior and any amount of wind? Roller. The type of equipment used is totally dependent.

K51000, Canadian Bacon and Phl218 like this.
  20. speedluvn

What’s a back roller?