1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paging all Duc Masters!!!!

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Duc748SPS, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Duc748SPS

Duc748SPS Banned

Ok here is the deal...

I have a 98 748.....

Here's the deal. I got a new slave cylinder since the original leaked as everyone knows. I put it on at the end of last year but it wouldn't work. It appears the push rod was too short. So I looked up the part number for the rod and it crossed over to a newer rod. So I figured it must be a little longer for the new slave....

Well here we are....the thing just is not long enough. The rod is supposed to push the cylinder back in when you bolt down the cylinder and it is not. I stuck a small piece of an allen wrench(about 2mm) down the cylinder shaft and it worked. So the rod just is not long enough to engage the cylinder.....

ANY IDEAS????????????

2. Mojo

Mojo Big Swinging Member

Make a longer rod? :confused:

I wear a size Large T-shirt. :p

OK, seriously, what slave cylinder did you get...is it the stock one or an aftermarket reduced-effort one like the Yoyodyne? If it's aftermarket does it need a non-stock push rod? If it's stock are there different versions with different rods?

You're off by 2mm? You don't by any chance have 2 gaskets between the slave and the case do you? That's probably a long shot but sometimes it's the dumbest stuff that gets you.

Any chance that the clutch itself is buggered? Maybe the seat where the push rod goes is damaged.

Is there a spacer that got misplaced? I don't have the parts diagram for a 748 in front of me.

3. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

sell it and buy 2 SV's

4. Duc748SPS

Duc748SPS Banned

It is straight fron Ducati....of course it is like version C ....I can get the exact partnumber off the box at lunch

there are no gaskets between the cyclinder and the case.....there are two small o ring gaskets on the rod

the clutch and cyclder work fine seperate from each other....you can take a screw driver and puch in on the cylinder and wor the clutch lever and it workds fine....but it has to have the pressure from the rod to puch it in as the lever at rest is forcing the cylinder out......the rod is pushed by the pressure plate via the springs.....everything checks out but the rod length and it is a new rod....the original crosses over to this new one.....

no spacers...it really is a simple thing i just can't believe no one else has had this issue since a lot of people replace them unless they are all going after market

5. Duc748SPS

Duc748SPS Banned

OK I found out the deal....

Ducati crosses the cylinder over to the new one
    but even though they cross the rod over to a new one, it is not the one that will work on the new cylinder...Thanks Ducati

you have to get a rod off a 2000 model or higher.....what a rip

thanks to the guys at Yoyodyne

they make a cylinder for either the short or long rod

6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

you didn't say whose slave you had...
    if it's the duc slave #19540031A then you'll need rod#11720061A and o-ring#064792170. @54.00$