1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

out of work and a it guy?

Discussion in 'General' started by daviid, Sep 23, 2009.

1. daviid

daviid Well-Known Member

So my bossman is shakey on bringing in a H1B guy, If this makes sense to you, let me know, I can probably put you to work.

We are looking for two (2) HLR/C-NTDB Engineers on an hourly basis to perform the following scope of work:
    1. Work on the USD solution SW testing and deployment activities.
    2. These activities take place 3 - 4 times per year and each lasts about 2 months. The work is in the USA.
    3. The two (2) resources are expected to be very competent and familiar with the solution (or similar solution for some other customer) and execution of similar tasks.
    4. Work might be daytime or evening or night shifts. In average 10 hrs per day. Sometimes weekends are included as well.
    5. In general we are looking for Level 3 Tester Engineers, very well versed with the SUN boxes, knowing the UNIX, Solaris, and Linux. Understanding and some experience with CNTDB, HLRd is mandatory. Continuity is important so that we do not need to train them every time there is a new activity.
    6. NSN will provide some introductory training - on-the job training to get these two (2) engineers up to speed. Afterwards we would expect that they could be productive without any additional training.
    Additional information/requirements.
    HLR/C-NTDB Engineer
    MAIN PURPOSE OF THE ROLE AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES:
    Support of Software upgrade activities of HLR/HSS/C-NTDB including following:
    • Support change management service delivery;
    • Execute the installation of the new Software;
    • Perform the regression tests of the new software in the LAB;
    REQUIREMENTS:
    Education
    BS Electronics Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Telecommunication or equivalent
    Technical Competence
    • HLRi/HSS/C-NTDB/AAA/UMA knowledge and experience preferred.
    • Has excellent IP and Unix experience and skills
    • Has excellent knowledge in network technologies, including TCP/IP, routing/switching, network security, Network Management, DNS, Radius, LDAP, etc.
    • Has been working as a Unix admin or has done admin tasks on Unix, such as installing OS, partitioning disks, backup/restore and log checking up
    • Has advanced troubleshooting skills on IP, Unix or Linux. Can independently use network analyzers and tools to troubleshoot difficult network problems
    • It’s preferred to have professional certificates: Checkpoint CCSA/CCSE, Cisco CCNA/CCNP, HP-UX Admin, Sun Solaris Admin or SuSe Linux, Redhat.
    PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES:
    Personal Attributes:
    • Ability to learn fast
    • Self motivated well-organized individual who can prioritize work and handle multiple tasks.
    • Ability to interact with a variety of people and work well with others in a fast paced environment.
    • Ability to take responsibility and work independently.

2. If only my enlistment ended sooner..

3. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I would suggest talking to Dice.com and getting one of their packages that includes a resume search option for 30 days. If you look at the overall man hours into the recruiting portion alone, you could justify the expense.

OR

Working internship with a college student. I typically get fantastic bang for the buck on this one since the bad habits haven't worked their way in. Plus, depending on how your state is set up you may get work credits.

4. daviid

daviid Well-Known Member

I wish it was that easy for the owner to say go spend money. i have a hard enough time trying to change things here to be efficiently run and cost effective.

internship doesnt sound like a bad idea.

5. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Especially if the intern is a female college cheerleader.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  6. Hyperdyne

If you are looking at it from a cost perspective, internships are relatively cheap and usually around 8-12 bucks an hour w/o benefits. Advertising for those is as easy as calling up your local college newspaper and placing a 20 dollar ad.

7. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

A college intern as a Level 3 Engineer? Are you serious?

8. jeffrop

jeffrop Well-Known Member

I was thinking those are pretty specific, high level skills for what is essentially contract work that is intermittent at best.

Good luck finding the right guy, or gal

9. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

It's just a bunch of UNIX and network stuff, anyone can pick it up. :crackup:

10. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

#cd /
    #chmod 666 *

Do I pass? :clap:

11. Hyperdyne

In a previous life I recruited Network Admins, Developers, JAVA guys, EE's, ME's etc... I'm no longer amazed at who you can find in a computer lab.
    However the folks with PHD's in Math still blow me away.. Don't take this as me disrespecting the qualifications of the position at all.