1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OT: Plumbing question: PEX?

Discussion in 'General' started by 13x, Jul 27, 2004.

1. 13x

13x 13x.com

Opinions on PEX (CrossLinked PolyEthylene)? I have to start from scratch in my 1936 house. It's all galvanized steel with more patches than a pirate ship. Pex looks cool but there's not much information out there. Copper is out because the water is too acidic (had the pinhole leak nightmare at my last house). So it's either CPVC (which I don't mind) or PEX.

For those who haven't heard of Pex it's basically flexible tubing that you crimp instead of gluing or soldering. And it can be set up in a ‘home run’ configuration, much like a computer network (which is what appeals to me of course).

Thanks in advance.

2. Prov431

Prov431 I know WU

My father-in-law did his entire new home in Pex. That stuff is awesome. No need for drilling holes every where in the walls, that stuff is strung like you're running wire..extremely easy to put where you want it. The connectors are rock solid and super fast to make...1 yr and no leaks.
    One very cool benifit that I like was the ability to run a separate line to each and every fixture..this way you don't get the dreaded temperature change when someone flushes or uses water elsewhere. Also, it gives you the ability to make a supply header with each fixture having it's own isolation valve at the header, and no isolation valves at the fixture itself....saving lots O money and supplies. Makes for a clean install as well.
    Not that you cant do all this with copper, but you probably wouldnt want to spend the time and money to do it.
    Pex is also non crushable, wont kink, and will probably outlast the house.
    Good luck!

3. atl_hooligan

atl_hooligan Well-Known Member

4. LMcCurdy

LMcCurdy Antique

Personally, I'd go with CPVC. PEX is an upgrade from polybutylene (PB). How much of an upgrade, I can't say. But it would have to be major jump before I would invest in it. PBs were used by quite a few mobile home manufactures. They had major leakage problems with it. Most have gone to CPVC as a result.

5. BC61

BC61 Well-Known Member

try thermosman, he used to be a plumber;)

6. xsr71x

xsr71x Old Member

Have PEX in my house love it.. plus it expands so if it freezes you don't bust the shit