1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OT-hey computer peeps, is this a good laptop?

Discussion in 'General' started by gixer1100, Aug 5, 2008.

1. SumoMoto-USA

SumoMoto-USA Digtal Tire Warmers!

that isn't really true. the 64bit OS can utilize more RAM
    while a 32bit OS is limited to 4gb max. 2^32 bytes, 64bit OS's go to a ridiculous 17+ billion gb's 2^64..

everything will be moved to 64bit in the comming years just as we moved to 32bit with NT 3.1 and Windows 95..

all that aside, get the laptop and install a standard copy XP on it....

2. SumoMoto-USA

3. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

so in your opinion that would be a better laptop as is, than the other one with xp installed?

4. SumoMoto-USA

if u want/dont mind a 14.1 vs a 15.4, then yes..

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

2GB of ram is much faster than 3GB because you can run two sticks in Dual channel mode. Dual channel 2GB vs 4GB will bench about the same in a 64 bit system in most cases.

A 32bit windows OS will not use 4gbs of ram. It can't. It can address up to 4gb which includes your vid card ram, HD ram cache, sound card ram (if you have one) etc.

"The reduction in available system memory depends on the devices that are installed in the computer. However, to avoid potential driver compatibility issues, the 32-bit versions of Windows Vista limit the total available memory to 3.12 GB. See the "More information" section for information about potential driver compatibility issues.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605

"If a computer has many installed devices, the available memory may be reduced to 3 GB or less. However, the maximum memory available in 32-bit versions of Windows Vista is typically 3.12 GB."

The truth is you don't need 4 gigs of ram. Unless your software costs in the thousands of dollars and you work at Skywalker Ranch there isn't any reason for it. A laptop with a dual core processor, 2 gigs of ram, a burner of some sort, and 150 GB hd will cover any and everything you need. Stick with XP 32 bit, it's stable, it has plenty of support (till 2014) and it works.

The 4GB advantage?
    http://www.legitreviews.com/article/709/3/

6. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

i ended up getting this one

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8907944&type=product&id=1213046785626

very upgradeable (to 8g ram if i can ever use it etc), has a good graphics card (says its 512mb dedicated ont he laptop, but says integrated on the spec sheet?). the look of the laptop is sweet. and i got it for 599.99. had a hdmi output as well which i like.

any opinions? did i screw the pooch on this, or did i do a decent job,lol?

7. SumoMoto-USA

for $599 its a good deal. i saw similar ones with just slightly lower specs for $549... but for $50 that's a good buy...

-btw its listed at $699 now ;o)