1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On-Board Cameras Questions

Discussion in 'General' started by Jack Brock, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Jack Brock

Jack Brock Well-Known Member

http://www.twenty20camera.com/motorcycle-camera.php

Does anybody know how this camera compares to the helmetcam 380 or 480? What about the Sonys?

If I decide to go with a lipstick type camera, what is the best bang for the buck on a recording device? A PVR or a used Camcorder off of Ebay? Any other ideas are appreciated. I'm trying to find something to give me decent videos as a learning tool, and hopefully keep it on the cheap.

2. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

400 lines of resolution isn't great. I've got a 360 line camera at home...it's ok ...but not great picture quality. I recently upgraded to a 560 line unit from helmetcamera.com.

As for using a PVR....don't. From all of the reviews I've seen...they use a poor compression algorithm that looses picture quality. Plus they don't hold nearly the amount of footage as they claim. (This is from user comments from another website on this very topic.)

3. rydfree

rydfree Well-Known Member

.....well instead of starting another camera thread I thought I'd hijack this old one :)

I've searched the forum but found no real information so anyone actually used any of the PVR setups that would share their opinion (or better yet send me a file of your race video)

Given the following information :

Current Motion Pictures (at the cinema): 24 fps
    Super 8 film: 18 fps
    NTSC tv: 29.9 fps
    PAL tv: 25 fps
    Standard digital video 15 fps
    High quality digital video 30 fps

What framerate does something like the Mustek PVR A1 record in ? Does it depend on the camera attached to it ? Does a 480 line resolution lipstick record in lower framerate than a 320 line due to the increased resolution ?

Do the mini HD based PVRs Like THIS one record ok on a bike or do they have problems due to vibration ? I've read both good and bad just wanted an opinion from someone that has actually tried them .

From a $$ standpoint the Mustek above looks like the best deal . 512 MB card included for less than $120 but I'd like to see a sample video from a motorcycle cam . I don't care about pure TV quality , I'll be watching on the PC monitor mostly but I don't want slow choppy video . My Canon digital Camcorder just did not fit the new R6 very well (sits way too high just to see out of the windscreen ) so I want to try the PVR setup with a lipstick cam if they are worth a flip at all .

thanks

4. darkside

darkside Well-Known Member

5. rydfree

rydfree Well-Known Member

Thanks that's what I wanted . I think they look decent enough . What resoultion camera were you using ?

I sold my Digital camcorder on ebay the other day because it was just too big for what I wanted plus when you dump the bike the lighter the camera is the better . My friends Canon did not fare so well in a minor lowside at Tally .

6. We've used the Mustek for the past year at the STAR School, with good results. Framerate is 30fps/320x240.

We tested the D-Snap, but the Mustek was much easier to use, with comparable quality. Plus they're $90 on ebay.

http://www.starmotorcycle.com/photo.htm