1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old tires, too old?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Hatchman, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Hatchman

Hatchman Speedaholic

So how old is TOO OLD for track tires?

Assuming they've been taken care of: out of the sun, no ozone/electrical motors around, etc.

Reason is, I got some SC1 and SC2's left over from last year, date on them is 0204, so they are right at two years old, but have been stored in the corner of my garage out of the sun in a cool dry dark corner, mostly wrapped up in plastic. They feel pretty soft with the fingernail check, and look great, no blueing or greying or cracking.

Would you use them, and how old is too old for a track tire? or a street tire?

Thanks!

2. stymie12000

stymie12000 Well-Known Member

They should be fine. I have done track days with tires that are year and a half old, blue, been on the bike all winter in a non heated garage. First couple of laps took it slow and I did take an extra set just in case. I was running in the 23's at jennings on these tires.

3. tailgunn

tailgunn Well-Known Member

I think the question you need to ask yourself is do you feel lucky today punk? Well, do ya?
    :D

4. 1TRKMND

1TRKMND Well-Known Member

Running on old greasy tires help a lot of riders get better anyway. If your using them for track days and not fighting for podium contingency.......use 'em

5. Hatchman

Hatchman Speedaholic

I know what you're thinking. "Did he have these tires for 24 months or only 20?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a V-twin Mille, the most powerful Aprilia in the world, and would throw your ass clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya punk?

:p