1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Skol Skater Punks....

Discussion in 'General' started by Chip, Jan 2, 2006.

1. onefastgs500

onefastgs500 Well-Known Member

how old school is this,1976 shugo kubo hand laminated signed 32 inch board midtracker trucks green kryptonite 65mm wheels sims german racing bearings (over $250 in parts in 76)

2. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

I have several Zorlac decks and one Hosoi just because I thought it looked cool (shape).

There was a killer fiberglass halfpipe at Bachmann Lake in Dallas in the 80's. I spent many a night on that ramp smoking no filter Lucky's to keep the mosquitoes away.

3. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

Wow, Vision Street Wear. I had tons of that stuff. Stupid shirts and those black high tops. It was a killer brand until you saw Gator wearing it for about the millionth time.:Puke:

4. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

ol school

A friend of mine has started pressing boards a year ago . I got layed off recently and have started helping him out. It is pretty crazy how they are made. It is a lot more involved then I thought. I am in the process of opening a shop in town here. I wish I had some of the old boards I had. The old powell boards with bonite in them, the gullwing trucks, and blockhead wheels. I have no idea how to post pics of the boards we make, or I would.

5. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

Bonite? Is that the stuff that looks like black construction paper in between the layers of the wood?

6. Chip

Chip Registered

Yep, and it used to grow like a chia pet when it got wet.....:D

7. flypigs

flypigs Cold turkey since 2003

Damn all of you and the thread starter! I wasted more than an hour last night scouring ebay and reminiscing. Now I'm on the hunt for a G&S Fibreflex deck to hang on the wall. And let's not forget the G&S sweatshirt.

When I think about this stuff, I can remember the smells of new wheels, and the skateboard shop I worked in when I was 12.

Damn you guys! and thank you guys too, I suppose.

Pete

8. TwoCycler

TwoCycler Well-Known Member

As I tell my son..."daddy was X-Games, before there was an X-Games"

He doesn't believe me either! :D

[​IMG]

Rocky Stargel
    Team Stargel

9. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

dang! look at those tube socks and them nikes :D

i rocked a board similar to this...

[​IMG]

anybody else remember an old skool brother named Steve Steadham?

10. Luckystrike

Luckystrike Well-Known Member

but of course..... member of the bones brigade. Couldn't do jack shit but frontside inverts and backside boardslides at Upland. Saw him in a Porsche 911 Turbo many many moons ago while eating at a restaurant in venice beach. :p

11. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Few of my favorites...
    [​IMG]
    They recently re-released one of my favorites (and I think it costs about the same as it did almost 30 years ago) http://www.alvahardcore.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=35j
    [​IMG]

It's pretty bad when I hear some people talk about 'old school' and it was stuff that came out AFTER my sk8ing days were over.
    Remember when kicks were nothing more than a wedge of wood screwed onto the top of the deck? If not, remember when boards only had 1 kick on them? Remember ball bearings? Remember the plastic skid plates that you would put under that kick and then spin it 180 degrees after it was ground down to the board? Remember when 10" boards first came out? Remember the OP corduroy padded shorts? Remember those cheesy wrist guards that were nothing more than a thin sheet of steel covered by some wimpy pleather?

Just like the others here, I had Sims, Dogtown (my first 10" deck), G&S, Gull Wings, Tracker, Powells, Bonez, Kryptos, etc., etc., etc.

A few of my other favorites were a Z-flex board for slalom and a Sims Taperkick longboard for being a hooligan (or as much of a hooligan as I could at 12 years old).

Now that I look back on it, I guess I was partially sponsored as the skate park where I spent every day gave me a bunch of this stuff to use in competitions they had.

Sure wish I had HALF of that crap now.

And who could forget Enid. She was the uber hot daughter of the skate park owner that worked behind the display case. Let me explain the display case...wooden top, glass front, glass back. She sat on a stool behind it. I'd bend down to look at the stuff in the case and couldn't help but look straight through the display case only to find her sitting on the stool with a skirt on and without her legs crossed. Yes, even as a youngster, I was a pig.

12. backbone

backbone scarred for life

I had some kind of board in around 1977 that was about 12-14 inches wide. It had California Slalom (that was the name molded into them) trucks on it that were 9 in. wide with 3in. red wheels. You could fit 3 people on it. That's pretty old skool

Last edited: Jan 3, 2006
  13. drebv4

drebv4 Well-Known Member

Do you know why men can't get Mad Cow Disease?

'cause we're ALL pigs!

Dreb:up:

14. LtFDrebbin

LtFDrebbin Well-Known Member

Re: ol school

Is that Catalyst Skateboards?

15. LtFDrebbin

LtFDrebbin Well-Known Member

16. TNRC

TNRC Well-Known Member

I had a pretty average "career" if you could call it that racing WERA between 85 and 94.
    Before that though I did much better on a board
    I skated with Rob among others in the M.E.S.S contest series in the early 80's
    http://www.skatepunk.net/apple/rosfrai3.jpg Rob at Apple Skatepark

Got to skate with Tony Hawk at Del Mar in 84 and with Alan Gelfland in Florida in 81. Had the good fortune to have several guests at my ramp back then too. McGill and John Gibson to name just a few.

Lot's of good memories, but I still skate a Powell deck today at 44. http://www.skatetn.com/modules/cpg1.2.0final/albums/userpics/10001/normal_Wendell Elrod.jpg
    ME in 1984

Last edited: Jan 4, 2006
  17. TwoCycler

TwoCycler Well-Known Member

Yeah, I could do big aerials too...I just didn't want to post THOSE pictures as Chip would think I was just showing off! :up:

Nice pic!

Rocky Stargel
    Team Stargel

18. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

No, his company is called Second State. He has not pressed his own boards for retail yet. He is still to busy pressing for all the customers he has. He has a couple printed up with his logo, but none out in public yet.

19. HAWK748

HAWK748 Lt. Governor

Some of the best and worst guys you could ever meet.
    Gator's still doing time for using the Club steering wheel lock on a chick..... dude had it all.
    Jason Lee, remember him? now doing My name is Earl TV show. Cool guy.
    Jason Jessee,(big thanks to Jessee for the pics) words can't describe Jason. Still into boards and big time into building Bobber's, Harleys, BSA's etc.

One of the best guys you could ever meet still is Steve Caballero, still riding for Powell after what 30 years? Just signed a new deal with Indy Trucks and rides the roads in a cool Ford A Model chopped top coupe.
    Damn. [​IMG][/IMG] [​IMG][/IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2006
  20. Chip

Chip Registered

Hey Rocky....wanna go Skate when you come to Charleston?

By the way guys....we can't forget WERA's resident Skate Pro (for real) Ned "Peanut" Brown!