1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Skol Skater Punks....

Discussion in 'General' started by Chip, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Chip

Chip Registered

Check this book out when you get a chance.

http://www.disposablethebook.com/

I had an obsession for skating when I was 11 - 15 years old like I do for motorcycles now. My mom picked this book up for me for Christmas and can't put it down. It is a book about skate board deck art and it brings back a ton of memories.

I even dug up some of my old sketch books from when I was a kid and used to draw my own versions of the Chip Spalding pro model.....:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 976-FIZR

976-FIZR In transition...

Crappy picture, but I had (still have) one of these:

[​IMG]

Hmm, let me see if I remember: Indy trucks, Bullet 66 wheels, 'Bonez' galore like tail bone, nose bone, rib bones... trying to remember who made my bearings. I can't. Oh well, it's outside in my garage right now. Too bad I don't have a pair of my 3/4 top vision skate shoes, too. :) I should fire it up if I weren't sure I would rip myself to pieces by doing so. :D

-HJK

3. LtFDrebbin

LtFDrebbin Well-Known Member

The Billy Ruff was my first board. It was one earlier than that, though. It had the skeleton hand pouring a glass of champagne.

Those pics bring back some good memories. Thanks.

4. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

German bearings of course. Or the knock off's skf?

I have several boards at my mom's house, if my niece hasn't taken them.

I like the Rob Roskop series. I had # 2 or 3. I had the Hammerhead for a while. Not sure if it's still out there.

I got one that was some small new co. just befor eI stopped. I should go get it and see if they turned into anything.

I also liked the Monty Nolders. I know I still have one of them. Not the kewl foam core springy one though. It's long gone after jumping off the loading dock.

5. Chip

Chip Registered

Roskopp 2

[​IMG]

Roskopp 3

[​IMG]

Jim Philips is the artist.....they all listed under his name. Old SKol decks like these in good condition can go for over $6K!! :wow:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2006
  6. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

Damn what memories. A guy gave me a Steve Caballero board when I was like 8. I was a hardcore skater until I got my drivers liscense, then I got into cars after that. Worst injuries I ever got( other than a bastard trampoline) I got from a skateboard. The trampoline is another story entirely.lol

7. stickboy274

That's it. I had the #2. It even has the SC cut out of the grip tape near the front . I still have it, I may have to e-bay and pay for some racing.:D

8. mad brad

mad brad Guest

had a roskopp, and a santa cruz bevel? i think?

9. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

Santa Cruz had some bad ass boards. I never had an old school version but I bought a slick( had a plastic coating on the bottom) when I was a teenager. That thing would slide for days and lasted for a long time. I passed it down to my younger brother and he killed it. Of course, he could tear up an anvil with a rubber mallet...

10. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Last board I ever owned and still got it :)

[​IMG]

11. flypigs

flypigs Cold turkey since 2003

One thing to say:

Simms Pure Juice.

Ok, a couple more:

G&S, Bonzai brushed aluminum, Tracker Trucks, and what was the name of the wheels that came out after Simm's and changed boarding forever.. they had 3 compounds..

Pete

12. mad brad

mad brad Guest

GNM bearing? or GMB bearings? som'n like that.

13. stickboy274

I have some kewl wheels. One set of soft and one set of hard that had the centers drilled to make them lighter.

I'll have to see what they are called.

14. Chip

Chip Registered

I had a million boards over the years......

Trucks:

Gullwing Magnesiums or G&S hollow axls

Bearings:

German (street) Swiss (Vert)

Bushings:

Gullwing Hard

Wheels:

Various

15. drebv4

drebv4 Well-Known Member

I musta already been old when all of what you guys are talking about went on.

In about '63 or '64 a few of us kids in the neighborhood were aspiring surfers -- even though the ocean was 100 miles away. Surfing was cool -- California was cool, the Beach Boys and Jan & Dean were in the near future. We lived in Petersburg, Virginia.

Some kid showed up one day with this lame homemade skateboard that was a square-cut plank to which he had screwed/nailed a metal-wheel sidewalk skate taken apart in the middle -- half on each end. He had to have gotten the idea from a magazine or something.

The short version of my story is:

My mom and dad were both roller rink skaters -- it's how they met.
    One of them gave up an old pair of grownup rink skates.
    Donor skate trucks, saws, drill, screws, scrap of marine plywood... better.

A real surfboard followed around 1965 along with my first car -- to the beach I went, never to return to skating again.

It became quite a craze I hear...

Dreb

:D

16. flypigs

flypigs Cold turkey since 2003

Go to ebay: I just found all that crap, and wow all those memories:

Gullwing trucks and Kryptonics! I was the coolest damn 11 year old, going to skateparks and contests.

What happened to all that coolness I had?

Pete

17. LtFDrebbin

LtFDrebbin Well-Known Member

Been skating 21 years now. It takes a back seat to bikes more often than not, but it still feels nice to go to the skatepark, and have a bunch of kids tell you they have never seen anybody as good as you.

Working on plans now to build a 30X30 garage in the backyard, with a concrete bowl to skate inside, and lots of room for wrenchin' on bikes.

18. mango

mango Ewah Felicitys underpants

Had a Neil Blender mini and large

Buncho Lake Skates

Can't remember the other stuff.

This is all I have left

[​IMG]

19. Chip

Chip Registered

I had a pair of pants in that pattern......:Puke:

Vision Street Ware Skull pants....:rock:

My dad thought I looked like an asshole and that is why I wore them in the first place...:D

20. backbone

backbone scarred for life

I STILL wear and sell Vision Street wear.
    They just changed the name to Draven though.
    They have some cool stuff, but some of it is just plain goofy.
    Still Skatin too @38.
    Just a little scared to fall these days.:rolleyes:

www.draven.com