1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old GSXR forks(Racetech?)

Discussion in 'Tech' started by iagsxr, Feb 23, 2011.

1. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

Need to service the forks on my 86 750 streetbike. Thinking Racetech springs, emulators, bushings.

Any other options out there?

Any Racetech dealers here? I've called their tech line twice to no avail. Someone to talk to'd be nice.

Or a midwest suspension shop that works on antiques?

TIA

2. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

86? Damper rod forks. Easy to do . You don't need to pay someone for it. You can do them yourself in two hours.

3. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

Yes I can do them.

Mostly concerned with tuning the emulators if I go that route. I would assume they come with instructions or some sort of shim stack chart. Just a little guidance from someone experienced with them would be nice.

4. Havoc

Havoc Well-Known Member

Call lenny Albin from Racetech 623-203-2866

5. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

They come with a single bolt that sets pressure on a spring that holds a large plate that block flow. You adjust them by turning the bolt in or out and tightening the nut. They will give you a baseline. EASY to adjust ( relative to cartridge valves). Put the bike on a front steering stem stand, pull the fork caps, spacers, springs, and reach down with a long flexible mechanical grabber or magnet. pull out emulator. clean oil off, adjust bolt, put back.

6. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

Thanks for the responses, I feel a little dense.

I've spent a fair amount of time on the Racetech website, somehow totally missing the emulator how to until today.

I've had a dirt bike Gold Valve(cartridge) in my hand. Had it in my mind that emulaters were an actual cartidge that sat on top of the damper rod. That is not the case. They're super simple, duh for me.