1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old diesel fuel

Discussion in 'General' started by Big T, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

It's still in the truck (2004 Dodge) and the truck's been sitting for 2 years in Wyoming

My 16 year old son just inherited this truck.

I'm sure the fuel has gelled in winter, does it melt back in the summer?

What needs to be done to fire this thing up? New battery and fuel filter come to mind.

What should I look for? I'm 1000 miles away from it, so I can't check under the hood

I've done plenty of old bikes and a few cars/trucks, but have zero experience with diesels

2. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

Personally, I wouldn't take a chance on it. Drain the tank and refill with fresh fuel. If you screw up the injectors or the fuel pump it = $$$$$$$$

3. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Put some algaecide in it, like Lucas Bio-Medic. Run it for a while, change the filters, and carry on.

Diesel will keep for very long periods of time, but if it has any water in it, will grow fungus. The Lucas stuff will kill it, the filters will collect it, and the engine will run.

4. It probably needs a transmission.

5. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I would drain it, algaecide it, and put some diesel treatment for some extra injector lube. Get lots of fuel filters.

6. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Change fuel filters and battery.

Start her up.

7. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

And don't forget ear muffs to keep the Loud Clacking noise of the motor down...:D

8. :crackup:

I will loan him the ones i used when i blowed up the motor in the Escalade. :D

9. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

It's an '04, so it's a CRD...quieter than your DuraSlax! :Poke:

Change the fuel filter. Especially if you've got the under-hood lift pump. In fact, if you have the under-hood lift pump, go to NAPA and get a spare, cuz if the fuel did goop up with algae, the additional restriction is likely going to kill it (not a very robust unit, I'm on my 4th in 300k miles, and would change to a Foss or AirDog if it wasn't just so damn easy to change :D).

Everything else from zertrider is spot on. :up:

10. Hammer 4

And much SLOWER than my Duramax too..:Poke: :D

11. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the info, guys

The wife's going to get the fuel treatments for it and put them in the tank

Later, we'll get the semi useless cousin to jump start it with his diesel and move it 50' to the street

Where the U Ship guy will pick it up and drop it off here, 1,000 miles away

I can then get it to a shop, or fix it myself

This should create minimal problems and I don't have to drive or fly back there in the winter to pick it up. U ship will be cheaper

12. If you are concerned about it and it is only 50', get that useless cousin to make sure the tires are properly inflated and tell him to push that bitch.

13. buxton

buxton Southern Canadian

:stupid:

14. scott65

scott65 Well-Known Member

50', tow strap or chain. Pull that truck to the street !! :D

15. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Shit you ever try pushing a.one ton on dirt? Ain't happening.

I'd towstrap the truck with a quad or something.

I'd like to add all of the above is good advice but I forgot.to add on the coolant. Drain a bit out of the petcock and see if it is sludgy. If it is and you clog up the oil cooler you are going to have a bad and expensive day. Also be very gentle with the petcock old ones strip very easy. You may have better luck pulling a hose.up top to check for goo.

16. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

Not if you have a stick. I realize the Fords and Chevys only come with an automatic, but Dodge gives you choice. And, they are great for towing heavy trailers. I know it can be done with an automatic but it is hard to beat the stick, Cummins, exhaust break combination. I have 8 trips over the Alcan with this combination pulling my 16K# trailer. All good so far.

17. duggram

Is your dually a drag racer? Bonneville?

But I have to admit at least you can pull the same motor out of a Hitachi excavator when you need a new one. Now that's heritage.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  18. Yep, only has an automatic transmission. The Allison auto-trans is the least of my concerns, regardless of what im towing.

But your comment isn't 100% accurate, I have a choice also. My truck does have "paddle shift", so I can shift it manually whenever I want. :up:

19. duggram

Actually I was referring to the Dodge OP is talking about. BTW no matter how you shift it you still have a slushbox in your pickup, although it is a good one.

20. Hammer 4

Where did you get the idea I have a dually...?

It's a 4X4 long bed xtra cab, with a little bit of work done to it...:D

Not a drag racer either, just like to mess with the ricers every now and then..;)