1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ok beeb i need a answer !

Discussion in 'General' started by Biggboi, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Biggboi

Biggboi wera novice #446

Before you jump down my throat i know this has been covered i have know idea in which thread so I'm asking again with all the electronics in wsbk and moto gp how do they make the rear wheel slide sideways aka sam lowes or marc marquez i want to know the mechanics of it thanks in advance !

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's how the electronics are set up. It allows a certain amount of spin.

3. Biggboi

Biggboi wera novice #446

Ok but how is it initiated to get the rear wheel spinning pressing a button giving it a certain amount of gas ?

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Throttle. Same as everything else they do, normal bike controls. They're not using buttons or joysticks.

5. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

This:

Attached Files:

• meme.png
      meme.png
      File size:
      284.8 KB
      Views:
    BigBird, DWhyte91 and Phl218 like this.
  6. They spin the rear wheel the same way everyone else spins the wheel, by exceeding the limits of traction from giving more throttle than what the tire can handle. Like Mongo said, they use the same throttle we use. There is no "spin button" or anything like that. They roll on the gas with the throttle tube just like every other rider/bike worldwide rolls on the gas.

Modern electronics are gyro based and work on multiple axis, they will allow the rear wheel to spin (if it didn't spin, they couldn't finish corners), and will allow the back wheel to deviate from the track of the front wheel (aka "step out") a predetermined amount then it reduces power.

This technology has made it to some of the OEM bikes also, it is called "Slide Control". Slide Control differentiates from Traction Control in that TC is concerned with the rate of the rear wheel spinning regardless of where the rear wheel's track is in relation to the front wheel's track; SC is concerned with the amount of deviation in the rear wheel's track from the front wheel's track (or how inline the bike is).

Electronics aside, it also comes from years and years of practice on pavement and dirt resulting in excellent throttle control and feel.

7. Biggboi

Biggboi wera novice #446

So my ? Broome is what bikes have sc because I've never heard of that before!

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

About Sam Lowes: Moto 2 bikes have no electronic assistance.

noles19 likes this.
  9. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Seems like there is a Zoran meme that would be appropriate here. :)

10. bj

bj Well-Known Member

I always wondered how they get the backend moving under braking when the rear wheel is on the ground so the can back in to corners. It can't be throttle so how do they do it?

11. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Because they can dial in however much engine braking they desire in the software .

12. condon66

condon66 Member well known

Think of it this way. It's like when you're on a dirt bike and you are using front brake getting slowed down for a tight turn. At the same time you are applying juuust enough rear brake that it steps out a little, but you dont use TOO much rear brake so that you can still control the bikes direction. The only difference is a lot or most of the slowing of the rear wheel comes from engine braking and not so much foot braking.

13. TheGrouchyCat

TheGrouchyCat Don't let my friends know I'm slow

Engine braking. Don't have to be a pro to do that. I don't have a slipper clutch and I don't like blipping the throttle, so naturally my ass-end slides around under heavy braking. All the weight is mainly on the front tire under heavy braking so you just gotta get it under control before you lean in and distribute the weight between both tires.

14. The go fast button on the right side connected to your wrist, it engages the red or blue power band and spin is induced.

15. Watch his clutch release in slow motion and the way he moves his weight. Pretty cool in slow mo.

16. Biggboi

Biggboi wera novice #446

Wow doesn't that put a lot of unesses

But doesn't that put unecessary strain on your clutch basket and transmission when you do that ?

17. condon66

condon66 Member well known

No.

18. joec

joec brace yourself

You need a, big bore xr100, then ask Bucky what I could do just rolling off on one with engine braking. I could back into corners with my 17" slicks like Hayden..add a little front brake and things start getting fun. You can.seriously learn a lot on one.