1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil Pressure Light?????

Discussion in 'Tech' started by grich575, Oct 12, 2007.

1. grich575

grich575 Well-Known Member

Bike: 2006 GSX-R600

Lowsided at JGP T8, this lowside tumbled the bike and one of the things that happened was it bent the steering stop so that it was able to cut the ingnition switch wires blowing the main fuse. We put the bike back together all was fine.

Lowsided at T1 the next day and it was a pretty hard slam on the left side but the bike never tumbled. The crimp connect got pinched on the ing. harness blowing the main fuse again, shutting the bike down. When we got back to pits I put a new fuse in and we had power but I never started it because of all the dirt in the air box. I tore my finger up pretty good so we headed of to the hospital and it has sat until today.

Cleaned the entire bike.

Soldered and heat shrunk the ing. harness.

Checked all connections

Put air box on, lowered tank

Started bike and let it run for about 20 secs but the Oil Pressure Light stayed on so I shut it down.

Checked oil level and it is the same as when we were at the track.

Started it again and same thing so shut it right down after checking sight glass to see if oil disappeared but it hadn't, just looked like some was splashing around.

Checked service manual and it says to check the lead wire by removing it from the sensor and with the ignition on ground it and the O.P.L. should be on and the little oil can idicator should flicker. Removed oil pressure sensor lead and the lights do what they are supposed to.

I'm lost!! What could be causing the low oil presssure??? I'm not sure if the oil should disappear in the sight glass when the bike is running, if I remember correct, everytime I have had the bike running and then shut it off to check the oil I had to wait for it to drain back into the pan, granted this is after riding and not 10sec of idling.

Help please!!! I have tried to give as many details as possible so please be easy on the bashing for the long drawn out post.... :confused:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  2. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

change out the sensor to see if it is the problem--it happens.

3. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

do you get an FI error where the temp should be? If so, set the bike to dealer mode (with a jumper wire or buy the dealer switch) and look up the code.

4. grich575

No FI code.

From what I have figured out so far it is something with the oil pumping system not the sensor. The oil level in the sight glass never changes from off to on and back to off.

I will change the oil & filter tomorrow and see if that helps but I am wondering if I somehow got a air pocket in the oil pump when it was on it's side. It stopped running faster than normal I would think as the tip over switch was never activated since the ign wires were grounded shutting it down.

Maybe it sucked in air as it was shutting down and now isn't repriming itself??? Is this possible? Can I blow through the oil filter fill tube with the drain plug out to remove anything that may have gotten caught in the pump?? Doesn't sound like a big deal to drop the pan and check out the pump but how do I know if it is good or not?

5. g.mccormick

g.mccormick Well-Known Member

loosen the oil filter a little and hit the starter. get ready to screw tight the filter and kill the engine. When you start it, if ther is an air lock it will be able to purge out with the filter loose. If the bike was on its side, it may have gotten the oil system air locked and this should deairate the system.
    If it doesn't appear that any air was present (ie as soon as it starts oil is gushing out where you have the loosened filter) get a analog oil pressure gauge and install it where the sensor goes. start the engine and see if you really do or don't have pressure.

6. grich575

Your right on, that's what it was. All seems to be good now. Hopefully no damage was caused by running it the few seconds it ran with the air lock.

7. sideways_skinny

sideways_skinny i need about, tree-fitty

nah, no damage. ivve run bikes for a few minutes with no pressure, and no damage has occured. if there was no pressure for a minute or less, you have nothing to be worried about.

8. grich575

That's what I like to hear.