1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ohvale vs rs/tz150r for Training

Discussion in 'General' started by Foolius, Oct 16, 2020.

1. racerx13

racerx13 Well-Known Member

RS also crashes well. That’s probably the least of your worries on any of these bikes, especially if you’re just riding on kart tracks.

if you do get an RS try to get a 95+ as parts for pre 94 bikes are getting scarce.

get an RS or 450 Supermoto. You can find either well setup for less than a new ohvale. Depending on your pace you can burn through tires fairly quick on a 450. On an RS, tires last forever at kart tracks.

2. There is only one correct answer, regardless of what the question is...

Grom.

3. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Sorry to mix it up here, but I think the best bike for road race training on the Kart track is the R3 or Ninja 300. Buy a used street bike cheap, take off all the plastic, and get some slicks for it. Done.

The converted dirt bikes back into the corner and then fire it out, kinda like Superbike riders. Those bikes just don't behave like a road race bike.

Those Ohvales look super cool, but I sat on one and ......nope. YMMV!

4. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

It sounds like if your two posts had a baby, it'd be a 300 swapped Grom :p

Gorilla George likes this.
  5. 418

418 Expert #59

Anything with small wheels is ridiculously sensitive to steering input and not representative of how a big bike feels like.

I had a TTR125 on some BT45s and it was a awesome training tool and a blast.

TurboBlew likes this.
  6. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

Strange...why would so many GP riders use small wheel bikes to train?

It translates.

7. 418

418 Expert #59

I was speaking from my own experience. Not speaking for MotoGP riders. I found the small wheels stuff handled weird.

Plenty of MotoGP riders use/used motards as well so not sure what how your comment applies.

I realize the Ovhale is the new hot shit but there is more than one way to skin a cat.

8. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

Seat time is seat time and it all helps...you're definitely right, there are many ways to skin a cat.

You said it wasn't representative of how a big bike feels...which I was just pointing out isn't true.

9. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I agree.

Moto GP riders can ride anything fast, that's why they are fast on Dirt Track bikes, minis, whatever.

For us mere mortals, if you're looking to get better at road racing, get a road race bike. Like a Ninja 300 or R3 and flog the hell out of that on the kart tracks. Supermotos and minis definitely handle differently.

Plus with the R3, you can sneak inside the supermotos mid corner and screw up their day. They will blast you on the next straight but that's part of the fun!

Just my 2c.

418 and TurboBlew like this.
  10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

11. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Another Ohvale video. This one at "normal speed" with Josh Herrin. :Poke:

12. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I could see me totally getting my ass kicked on a 190...lol. Holy crap those little things accelerate til you see Gerloff put the coals to the 450...lol

13. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Going into that turn at 1:22 I was like "did he lose his brakes?"........lol, those two are dummy fast.

TurboBlew likes this.
  14. tett

tett Well-Known Member

Love this conversation. I've been bombing around on my xr100 with 17" slicks recently and it's great fun. It certainly crashes well, since I've thrown it down the track twice and haven't had to repair anything. I also like that it's 160 pounds-ish, so not really heavy. I don't care that it's slow.

I have learned that I want to try a more "roadrace" style bike. The dirt bikes don't have great ground clearance. You end up grinding the footpegs down or hanging really far off to avoid dragging the pegs or doing both at the same time. I'm more used to track bikes with rearsets and some ground clearance for lean angle. I'd really like one of the RS125/some other engine hybrids because it seems like the posture would be what I'm used to and it would be as roomy as the xr100 (which isn't exactly roomy, but I'm used to it). In any event, they seem roomier than an Ohvale or Kayo. I've even considered the Tianda TDR300 because it's 210 pounds. Then, I could use that at regular tracks also. Expensive, though (not for what it is, just for me).

I found Gino230's comments pretty interesting... and tempting. 250 Ninja's, etc. are pretty darn cheap. I went to the Kart track yesterday and there was a MotoAmerica Junior Cup racer there training on an XR100 and a 250 Ninja. I spoke to his Dad and he said the Ninja is good for training because it weighs over 300 pounds, doesn't have tons of power, and is a lot of work to ride. The large weight of those bikes compared to the minis keeps me from going that route.

Ohvale is too rich for me at this time. I'd like to sit on one, though. Would love to know if I could deal with the size.
    Edit: None of my kart track priorities involve training. I'm just doing it for giggles.

15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

on a 100 with 17s ?? You can get different bars but the body positioning is identical. Most times you'll find yourself sliding back if youre over 5'6". And you can lean it way over and grind the stock pegs for days with no issues. Unless your track is like bushnell and wants sliders on hard parts. Then just drag the pvc or delrin.

16. tett

tett Well-Known Member

Yes, 17s on this one. It has Excel Takasomethings or Tasasomethings wheels... I can't remember. 2.5" wide front and rear. CR85 front end. I run 100/70 front slicks on both ends (because they were on clearance).

17. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Curious what this will end up being. Slightly bigger for big kids? Can't really see a need to make it more powerful or anything like that.

upload_2020-11-9_5-5-40.png

18. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

probably making something closer to a NSF size for kids to club race or adults to be more comfortable on at the kart track. I rode an Ohvale 190 and it feels smalllllll, i'm only 5'6 and wanted back on my FS450 before i was done with 3 laps at the kart track

19. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

ergonomic wise, especially for kids, a ‘sport’ chassis is more beneficial as a training tool. Body position is similar and obviously different on a dirt bike chassis.

20. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

yes but for me i feel like supermoto training is better than sitting on the couch and cost wise is incredibly inexpensive. I can ride a full day for $35 and if i crash the bike will be perfectly fine 10/10 times lol.