1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ohlins Suspension and wrong spring rates

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Six3SixGal, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Six3SixGal

Six3SixGal Official WERA Cat Lady

So I bought a "fancy" R6 race bike with Ohlins cartridges and a TTX shock over the winter. I was going to change out the springs for the correct ones for my weight, but opted to pay off a student loan instead (yay being an adult about things kinda).

I;m 125 lbs
    It's sprung for 210 lbs

HOW bad do you think it'll be? Im a mid-pack expert, so cooking a bit, but not podiuming at any events. Last year I rode an SV sprung too heavy. Do you think it will be totally unrideable or just not ideal? I've almost always raced an R6 with stock suspension.

2. mino6466

mino6466 Well-Known Member

Unride-able. I took my R1 to the track as soon as I got it and it was sprung or a guy 100 pounds heavier than me. Turn it was manageable but the rear would just spin out of control on exit. Basically saving a crash out of every corner.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

3. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

"sprung for your weight" is a useless term. fast riders use what they go fastest on, not what some weight->springrate chart says.

what are the actual springrates?

if u want to compare my R6, im 135lbs and get expert podiums. im using .925 kg/mm fork springs and 90 N/mm shock spring. i have used .95 and 95 and it was fine. hell, on my CBR600RR i used .95 and 105 for a little while.

drop and Boman Forklift like this.
  4. Six3SixGal

I did best on.85 fr .9 rear, but it's got 1.25s in the front, 105 rear

5. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

holy shit, 1.25s. ya thatll prob suck. i wouldnt race it like that.

springs are cheaper than a set of tires.

6. Six3SixGal

Yeahhhhh. Going to suck it up and have KFG swap them out for me.

7. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Most suspension shops will trade you out shock springs, but usually not fork springs. Shouldn't be terribly expensive.

metricdevilmoto likes this.