1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd-Ball Picture of the Day

Discussion in 'General' started by bitchcakes, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Yes, 1986 first year of US GSX-R Suzuki. Kevin Schwantz is listed in the entry list. Jimmy Filice listed on factory Yamaha. Kawasaki pulled out after 1983, din't start coming back until about 1989.

2. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

First GSXR was 85 for 750 - 86 for 1100

SpeedyE likes this.
  3. Johnny B

I just found more info. In 1985 Rainey rode in Formula 1 for MacLean Racing alongside teammate Rich Schlachter. He did not race Superbike that year.
    His 1984 250 ride in Europe was on a Yamaha for Kenny Roberts.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  4. Johnny B

If they were out in 1985, nobody was racing them. I remember Schwantz qualifying 3rd at the Daytona 200 on a GS750ES. In club racing everyone, including my team, was running Yamaha FZ750's. When Suzuki brought out the GSX-R 750 along with the $$$ in 1986, everyone dumped their FZ's and bought the Suzukis.
    Racing debut in 1986: https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/news/suzuki-gsx-r-domination-icon/

5. Johnny B

Most of my early 80's pic were from Animal Hill. I don't need to get in trouble with the moderators. :)

Sabre699 likes this.
  6. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

7. YamahaRick

8. YamahaRick

9. YamahaRick

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

PICT0029A.jpg Charlotte 1982

noles19, pscook and joec like this.
  11. YamahaRick

12. YamahaRick

Work meetings, when working from home ...

IMG_20200422_225801.jpg

masshole, RichB and scottn like this.
  13. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

I got recruited from the Suzuki MX team to hold the STOP board for him during the race that year. One of our other guys was doing the fire extinguisher because Yosh had only 3 guys there if I remember right. I was scared shitless the first time KS came in to pit and he joked with me later about my eyes being as big as saucers as he hauled ass in. Of course, he stopped perfectly right at the board. :)

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  14. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

The good old days when there was no pit lane speed limit. :)

15. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Reminds me of one of my teammates during an endurance race at Nelson Ledges. He was dawdling out of the pits after a rider swap like he was doing a trackday. So I told the team: "Don't waste time. The tires are hot. GO LIKE HELL!" So later in the race another team mate takes it to heart. I come in and hand off to him, and start to walk away as he leaves. He nails the throttle and lets the clutch fly doing a nice twelve o'clock wheelie down pit lane. All while my back is turned. The guys in the next pit were complimenting us on how nice the bottom of our belly pan looked or something like that. Good times! :beer:

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  16. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

17. YamahaRick

18. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

pfhenry likes this.
  19. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

That's more common than you'd believe. There's four combos I tell my guys to try before giving up if they can't get in a yard: Address forward // address backward // last 4 of the contact phone # /// and 1226. I don't know why but about 5% of gate/lockbox combinations are 1226.

Boman Forklift and RichB like this.
  20. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member